The Mandalorian discussion thread (2 Viewers)

The correct name will always be Baby Yoda...
One of the many great things about this series is that they went with a muppet rather than doing him in CGI. I've always felt that Frank Oz's physical Yoda was far more expressive than the voiced-over CGI version of the prequels.
Baby Yoda Grogu has held to that, showing all kinds of expressiveness in his scenes. I don't know who the puppeteer is, but he (she?) does a great job with him.

One of the many great things about this series is that they went with a muppet rather than doing him in CGI.

Oddly enough we have Werner Herzog of all people to partially thank for that:

They were preparing to shoot a blank slate of the sequence as a backup in case they decided during postproduction that the puppet wasn’t convincing enough and a digital version had to be substituted.

Herzog, known for films about pushing the limits of human ability and endurance, could not hide his contempt.

“You are cowards,” he declared. “Leave it.”

also this is hilarious:

“I was directing Werner with the puppet, and Werner had just fallen in love with the baby. Werner, I think, had forgotten it wasn’t actually a live creature, and started sort of… directing the baby.”

It’s as charming, but no less surreal. “Werner is talking to the baby as if it was a real thing. And I’m trying to direct Werner,” Chow said. “And I’m just like, How did I get here? How did my life end up like this?”

One of the many great things about this series is that they went with a muppet rather than doing him in CGI. I've always felt that Frank Oz's physical Yoda was far more expressive than the voiced-over CGI version of the prequels.
Baby Yoda Grogu has held to that, showing all kinds of expressiveness in his scenes. I don't know who the puppeteer is, but he (she?) does a great job with him.
i think i read it was a team of people controlling grogu

I'm with you 100%. Empire Yoda will always be my Yoda. The Phantom Menace Yoda was suspect at best. One of the weirdest things I have ever seen lol. Then they had to do the CGI version because Yoda was fighting and stuff and they did the best they could.

This series is doing a perfect job with Grogu (a.k.a "Baby Yoda). I haven't seen a single thing that looked bad so far.

Last edited:
I'm with you 100%. Empire Yoda will always be my Yoda. The Phantom Menace Yoda was suspect at best. One of the weirdest things I have ever seen lol. Then they had to the CGI version because of Yoda was fighting and stuff and they did the best they could.

This series is doing a perfect job with Grogu (a.k.a "Baby Yoda). I haven't seen a single thing that looked bad so far.
the cgi yoda replacement in Phantom Menace was better than the original release - looked like the muppet was left in a hot attic for 20 years

star-wars-phantom-menace-yoda-puppet-cgi-comparison-slice.jpg

Star-Wars-The-Phantom-Menace-Yoda.jpg

the cgi yoda replacement in Phantom Menace was better than the original release - looked like the muppet was left in a hot attic for 20 years

Lol for real. How could they totally fumble on such an iconic character? That wasn't Yoda. That was Yoda's cousin Jodu who has struggled with substance abuse for centuries and has been in and out of the galactic prison system his whole life.

Each of these has something to recommend it, except the upper-right. That one's just a deadeyed video game side-character.
Upper-left looks much more real. Especially the chair.
The bottom-right has better articulation in the finger and lips. A better impression of an iris in the eyes, but his right hand is a blob and the clothes/chair are clearly CGI.
Bottom-left, the clothes. They're real, little bits of fuzz, uneven shadows, dappled light on the shoulder. That there is a real thing wearing real clothes, sitting in a real chair. Too bad it's blind and has arthritis.

I'm with you 100%. Empire Yoda will always be my Yoda. The Phantom Menace Yoda was suspect at best. One of the weirdest things I have ever seen lol. Then they had to do the CGI version because Yoda was fighting and stuff and they did the best they could.

I understand the people who like puppet over CGI, and I agree, BUT, we would not have seen the coolest lightsaber quick draw of all time without the CGI.

There's going to be a brief overlap where we'll have new episodes of the Last of Us, Picard, and Mando. I'll be in nerd heaven.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom