Titanic submersible es morte (1 Viewer)

One of the articles mentioned that the means of communication from the sub to the ship was a SSBL(super short base line) acoustic transponder. SSBL is also a method of determining position, which I'm sure the ship uses to monitor the sub. We use them to track the position of our ROVs on my ship. These mini transponder beacons are always housed on the outside of the ROV, I don't see why it would be any different in this situation. If you don't regularly replace the zincs and the seals in these transponders, water will find its way to the battery and electronics and destroy it quickly. My thoughts are that if the submersible was crushed, the beacon would still be active. Failure of these transponders can be pretty common if they aren't maintained. For something carrying multiple people on board, I'd have multiple transponders on the craft.

The more I read the more I want to change my guess from electrical failure to implosion.

The only thing about that is that the submersible has been down there a handful of times, up to five depending on which report you read. Unless something compromised it (e.g. like the shuttle heat tile malfunction) you wouldn't expect it to implode.

A read that the vessel had seven different ascent systems that could operate independently and are considered reliable - so perhaps it is incapable of ascending because it is trapped either at the Titanic wreckage or even in some kind of abandoned fishing net.

I'm also dubious of them being in the wreckage because that would mean they got to it - as I understand the navigation, it requires coms to the surface to guide it to the wreck, and that's part of what was lost fairly early on.

Pretty sure ...

I think they are bobbing around just at the surface of the ocean. It would be very difficult to see painted white just barely breaking the surface of the water. Could be well on its way to the UK at this point. Then again, they would be incredibly stupid not to outfit the sub with an EPIRB.

One of the articles mentioned that the means of communication from the sub to the ship was a SSBL(super short base line) acoustic transponder. SSBL is also a method of determining position, which I'm sure the ship uses to monitor the sub. We use them to track the position of our ROVs on my ship. These mini transponder beacons are always housed on the outside of the ROV, I don't see why it would be any different in this situation. If you don't regularly replace the zincs and the seals in these transponders, water will find its way to the battery and electronics and destroy it quickly. My thoughts are that if the submersible was crushed, the beacon would still be active. Failure of these transponders can be pretty common if they aren't maintained. For something carrying multiple people on board, I'd have multiple transponders on the craft.
They reported that some distress 'pings' were received shortly after they lost contact with the submersible. The only thing that wasn't known for sure (in the report) was whether the distress signal is an automatic function by the equipment on board, or whether it would have to be initiated by someone among the crew. Either way, it appears that there may not have been a catastrophic failure of the vessel and that the crew knew/knows about the danger they are facing.

I know the Logitech has been discussed. This blurb discusses a couple of the other off-the-shelf components.

"Submersible was operated with a video game controller

Marlene Lenthang
Titan, the missing tourist submersible, was operated by a video game controller and had parts that were described as “off-the-shelf components.”

During a tour of the vessel in a CBS News segment that aired in November, OceanGate Expeditions CEO Stockton Rush pointed out some of these unexpected features, including a light fixture from CamperWorld and a makeshift toilet with a plastic bottle.

He brought out a Logitech game controller, saying that “we run the whole thing with this.” It was not immediately clear whether the submersible was operated with such a controller during the latest mission.

Game controllers can have a wide range of uses, including by pilots controlling drones, as well as in medical training.

OceanGate’s website describes the five-person submersible as a combination of “ground-breaking engineering and off-the-shelf technology,” the latter of which “helped to streamline the construction, and makes it simple to operate and replace parts in the field.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom