Ukraine (27 Viewers)

Here's an example of why I ignore Igor.

That's so implausible it causes my teeth to hurt. Before they would deactivate the brakes they would rebuild the old brake parts with what might not be manufacturer approved material, but would function if replaced more often than usual.

He tweets something unreal like that too often, and although I don't follow him, someone I do follow does retweet his stuff all to often.

I'm talking about you David D. https://twitter.com/secretsqrl123

Here's something I haven't seen before, but I've now seen twice in one day.

Early today someone here posted a tweet with the "witch" holding a mortar rocket on her shoulder with these thick split rings placed around the narrow part of the rocket shaft. The one she was holding had red split rings around it.

This tweet shows blue split rings being placed around mortar rockets. In both cases the split rings appear to be made of light weight foam, and four of them are placed such that the split gaps do not fall in alignment with the ones above or below:

All in all that reminds me of the way piston rings are placed around an engine piston. My guess is they are used to extend the range of the mortar rockets by increasing the gas pressure seal as the rocket engine ignites in the mortar tube, accelerating the rocket to an increased speed.

Then I would think the thick split rings fall off in flight, and no longer block the air flow over the fins at the rear of the rocket such that the fins take over and guide the rocket to where it goes. They might blow off, melt, or burn off since they are made of foam.

Early today someone here posted a tweet with the "witch" holding a mortar rocket on her shoulder with these thick split rings placed around the narrow part of the rocket shaft. The one she was holding had red split rings around it.

This tweet shows blue split rings being placed around mortar rockets. In both cases the split rings appear to be made of light weight foam, and four of them are placed such that the split gaps do not fall in alignment with the ones above or below:

All in all that reminds me of the way piston rings are placed around an engine piston. My guess is they are used to extend the range of the mortar rockets by increasing the gas pressure seal as the rocket engine ignites in the mortar tube, accelerating the rocket to an increased speed.

Then I would think the thick split rings fall off in flight, and no longer block the air flow over the fins at the rear of the rocket such that the fins take over and guide the rocket to where it goes. They might blow off, melt, or burn off since they are made of foam.

Definitely seems plausible.

C charges...they are the propellant charges.

C charges...they are the propellant charges.
Really? That was my first thought, but the foam look threw me off. I remember how amazing it was to discover how simplistic mortars are. Back in '79, they had cloth packets (quilted-like) with gun powder that were perforated and you tore off packets of gunpowder to determine the distance you wanted. They were placed around the bottom, tapered end and when dropped in the tube there was a firing pin at the bottom of the tube that triggered the ignition.

Darn. I started to type this then had to take a call. BooBird's post would have saved me some effort.

The Ukrainians have adapted to fight a war without/very few aircraft.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom