Was the Saints' Front Office (e.g., Loomis) Fleeced on the Sean Payton Trade? (1 Viewer)

What did we get for him? Bresse?!?!? We would've done just as bad without him. A program changing HC is worth more than JAG on the D line. You try to bury his contract and hold him for ransom....get what he's worth or he stays retired.

Re revisionist history: This isn't revisionist history from me....this was always my stance. CSP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bryan Bresse
Same here. I kept saying that Mickey had all the leverage once it became known that Payton was getting back into coaching, and he should have held out for a better deal. Instead, he folded like a cheap suit like he always does.

Ok...then he stays retired

You own it...you set the value, if they're willing to pay....great, if not oh well...I'll keep it.

But what you're not going to tell me is what you think it's worth then demand I give it to you at that low arse cost.
I don't really see the point of that when we would get nothing for him a year later, but I also would have been ok with it because he made his decision to leave so he can sit at home and not coach.

Ok...then he stays retired

You own it...you set the value, if they're willing to pay....great, if not oh well...I'll keep it.

But what you're not going to tell me is what you think it's worth then demand I give it to you at that low arse cost.
That's not exactly how it works though. If you're serious about getting value for Payton, you take your best shot and hope a couple of teams get in a bidding war for his services, otherwise you go with the best offer. You can take your ball and go home, but no legitimate GM would ever settle for getting nothing.

Same here. I kept saying that Mickey had all the leverage once it became known that Payton was getting back into coaching, and he should have held out for a better deal. Instead, he folded like a cheap suit like he always does.
How do you know that? If you think holding out much longer would have yielded a better result, I'll have what you're smoking.

Remember, the clock was ticking. The longer they negotiate, the less leverage the Saints would have.

Brady didn't turn it down. It was a done deal. It only fell through because Brees changed his mind on retiring after he found out about Brady coming here.
I don't think it was a done deal. There were negotiations and if Brees retired, an offer was rumored to be on the table.

How do you know that? If you think holding out much longer would have yielded a better result, I'll have what you're smoking.

Remember, the clock was ticking. The longer they negotiate, the less leverage the Saints would have.
How do I know what? That Payton was 100% in on getting back into coaching? That he wasn't going to sit out 2 more years? If you think he was, I'll definitely have what you're smoking.

Payton made it clear he wanted back in, and teams were interested. Loomis had all the leverage and he caved. The 3rd round pick he sent to Denver will end up being not much better that the 2nd we got from them.

He got fleeced. Period. End of story.

How do I know what? That Payton was 100% in on getting back into coaching? That he wasn't going to sit out 2 more years? If you think he was, I'll definitely have what you're smoking.

Payton made it clear he wanted back in, and teams were interested. Loomis had all the leverage and he caved. The 3rd round pick he sent to Denver will end up being not much better that the 2nd we got from them.

He got fleeced. Period. End of story.
Well, we disagree then because the only team who really pursued Payton was Denver. I thought we'd get more for him at the time, but in retrospect, we got pretty much all we would. There were never any reports of other teams bidding for his services.

So, that's like your opinion man.

Well, we disagree then because the only team who really pursued Payton was Denver. I thought we'd get more for him at the time, but in retrospect, we got pretty much all we would. There were never any reports of other teams bidding for his services.

So, that's like your opinion man.
No doubt it's only an opinion, but ask yourself this:

If Loomis demands more from Denver, even if it means keeping our 3rd rd pick, do they say, "nah, we're good, we'll go with our second choice"? I highly doubt it but have no inside info.

No doubt it's only an opinion, but ask yourself this:

If Loomis demands more from Denver, even if it means keeping our 3rd rd pick, do they say, "nah, we're good, we'll go with our second choice"? I highly doubt it but have no inside info.
Yeah, I don't know. If I'm sitting in the room as a Denver front office guy, I'm doing all I can to get Payton, but there's a clock and other options to consider as well. The longer we hold out, the less leverage the Saints retain. The reason I say that is if Payton stays retired another year, then he arguably becomes a free agent. There was a lot of debate on whether Payton could run the clock out, and I tend to think the Saints front office weren't gonna push on that.

They decided to take what they can get imo. I don't see what can be gained by delaying it longer.

If you go back and listen to the interviews/podcast with Payton and Loomis, what both have said is pretty consistent. If you remember, Payton went on vacation after the 2021 season and no one heard from him. Didn't answer calls, text, etc. He needed time away to think about the decision. He resigns when he comes back because he was "burnt out." He even talked about everything that went into it, including the feeling there was a "black cloud" over the Saints regarding the league with Bounty Gate and the NFC Championship no-call.

The bigger question is did he want to come back to the Saints after the year out? There is info out there that he was open to it. He was open to coming back to the Saints, but Loomis felt Payton left and he was loyal to Dennis Allen after last season. That is the crazy part to me. If this is the case, sticking with Allen over Payton after last season was a horrible decision. Then it began a negotiation of what the trade was worth, which Payton was a part of. To me, the leverage was lost when they weren't open to taking him back and don't start with the loyalty issue. The Cubs just fired a coach because a better one became available. They had no reason to be loyal to Allen after last season.

All through the process I didn’t think the Saints would get a huge return on a Payton trade even by saying that Loomis got fleeced on this deal

Yeah, I don't know. If I'm sitting in the room as a Denver front office guy, I'm doing all I can to get Payton, but there's a clock and other options to consider as well. The longer we hold out, the less leverage the Saints retain. The reason I say that is if Payton stays retired another year, then he arguably becomes a free agent. There was a lot of debate on whether Payton could run the clock out, and I tend to think the Saints front office weren't gonna push on that.

They decided to take what they can get imo. I don't see what can be gained by delaying it longer.
They would gain nothing. To try and force Payton to sit out is nothing less than just spiteful and the team would lose out. I say they would lose out because if we know anything about Sean it seems he would have no problem just waiting it out if push came to shove.

I still chuckle inside at the people that wanted him to fail. Denver has won 5 in a row and it seems like when he coached the Saints we would always get big win streaks. Like him or not or hold a grudge or not Payton can motivate and win something DA seems to not be able to do.

They would gain nothing. To try and force Payton to sit out is nothing less than just spiteful and the team would lose out. I say they would lose out because if we know anything about Sean it seems he would have no problem just waiting it out if push came to shove.

I still chuckle inside at the people that wanted him to fail. Denver has won 5 in a row and it seems like when he coached the Saints we would always get big win streaks. Like him or not or hold a grudge or not Payton can motivate and win something DA seems to not be able to do.
This is where I disagree. I don't think Payton was sitting out another year or 2.

It is what it is now.

This is where I disagree. I don't think Payton was sitting out another year or 2.

It is what it is now.
I know he wanted to coach. I wish I knew all of the information because it goes way beyond him just being burnt out because if that was the case he would have sat out much longer than he did.

I agree it is what is now. I like the fact that he is doing well in Denver I don't think we have seen the last of him.

kept telling yall that the Gruden compensation should have been the minimum……but yall wanted to flame me. SP is considered one of the greatest offensive masterminds that the game has ever seen and yall thought he was worth less than Gruden. Now look at where we are🤣.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom