2024 Tropical Weather Thread (6 Viewers)

The "trend" of the track keeps moving north. It's consistent. Unfortunately, I think this thing ends up impacting Texas or Louisiana. Hopefully not as a major hurricane.

for reference. here is a still picture view from pier ( looking back toward island ) that coincides with/starts at :38 video- you can see upper right of video w/ the baby blue bld just behind the yellow camel back- which is literally center of the this panoramic photo.

the loss of both structures and foliage is unbelievable.

for reference. here is a still picture view from pier ( looking back toward island ) that coincides with/starts at :38 video- you can see upper right of video w/ the baby blue bld just behind the yellow camel back- which is literally center of the this panoramic photo.

the loss of both structures and foliage is unbelievable.

The tree loss is severe too.

I assume most of these places' main industries are tourism, by a wide margin, and rhum distilleries. I feel for them. We went through Katrina, but you could go out of state to find accommodations, where do you go when the whole country gets whacked?

I assume most of these places' main industries are tourism, by a wide margin, and rhum distilleries. I feel for them. We went through Katrina, but you could go out of state to find accommodations, where do you go when the whole country gets whacked?

Carriacou is like what, 14 sq miles? Petite Martinique is 2.37km SQUARED.

Thats what stood out the most. like an EF4 type damage- nothing by trunks and some branches left. over the entire island.
Yeah, after the shock of the destroyed structures my thoughts went to "where is all of the green?" This will be a long rebuild process.

And it's only the beginning of hurricane season.

No link show, but click on the link for the full story from The Advocate:

So, obviously, it could track north, but I think that LA is too much of a recurve, given the (admittedly waning) high that will still be lingering around. Another thing is that, there shouldn't be anything to make it stall in the gulf, so it should be significantly weaker by the time it hits this side.

Fingers crossed.

So, obviously, it could track north, but I think that LA is too much of a recurve, given the (admittedly waning) high that will still be lingering around. Another thing is that, there shouldn't be anything to make it stall in the gulf, so it should be significantly weaker by the time it hits this side.

Fingers crossed.

I"m certainly no weather expert or even an amature, but that's what it looks like to me. I just hope for the folks in the Houston area that it doesn't keep moving too far north.

We made it off the island yesterday evening. I met with the Prime Minister of Grenada as well as the country’s entire emergency response team and a few major NGO’s responding to give them a total assessment of the island. It was quite weird to get a random call on whatsapp at 10pm from the secretary of a country’s leader that immediately brings him into the call. I was the only person that he was able to contact on the island. No phones, no internet, no radio in a country that had not made starlink legal yet.

They were incredibly appreciative of our work and took our assessments and advice seriously. It meant a lot, were able to make a huge difference for a lot of people directly impacted as well as for those who had loved ones impacted.

The island will never be the same. Recovery will take decades. I’m guessing at some point they will have to completely evacuate the island, rebuild infrastructure and then begin rebuilding before repopulating. The people and community really is special there.

I felt guilty leaving and was not planning on it but the starlink went into “restricted” mode due to hitting our data limit. It would not let me add data without being connected to another internet source so effectively it turned into a brick. When we were offered a plane ride back with the PM after that it was a no brainer.

We were literally welcomed into the airport like rock stars. Everyone in Grenada knows who we are and they are all running up to thank us and take selfies. As much as I hate the whole idea of that, it was pretty cool for all the right reasons.

We are flying back to the US today. Will have to go to NYC then turn around and fly direct to Cancun. Unfortunately even a close scrape with Jamaica is going to be catastrophic. After that, we can focus on the behind the scenes video of our experience. It is going to be epic.

I am assisting with numerous NGO’s still to get aid to pockets of the island that need it most, got 10 starlink terminals donated directly from SpaceX as well as lithium generators with solar panels to run each one. Met many life long friends on the island that JP and I will have an amazing bond with. So much good came from so much bad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom