All of you have been weighing heavy on my mind (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to dip my toe on a singular point that you usually lead with. Let's address for a moment your usual leading claim that the gospels are anonymous. You state it as a matter of fact, but there's literally no evidence to back up such a claim.

There are many manuscripts of all four gospels from differing regions from the first five centuries. Even the earliest texts from the second century are simply not anonymous. Every one of them have the same formula of 'gospel according to x'. What we don't have is a single example of a gospel manuscript that is not attributed to an author.

To hold that the gospels were anonymous is to believe that there were not one but four different anonymous gospels that were copied many, many times and dispersed throughout the reaches of the Roman empire over many decades and only later were the names added. And somehow they all matched up and the different versions were not attributed to the wrong guy. You'd expect to see some disagreement but it simply isn't there. For an example of an actual anonymous text, you could look at the early manuscripts of the letter to the Hebrews. The manuscripts either claim an unknown author or attribute it to differing writers later on in the centuries. This isn't the case with the gospels.

Additionally, if the authors were falsely attributed for the purposes of authority, why use Luke and Mark who were not eyewitnesses? Why not use someone else that was known to actually be with Jesus? Why not use Jesus himself?

It just doesn't make sense and only became popularized in very recent history by the likes of Bart Ehrman.
Brennan, I wanted to get back to you with a more detailed (i.e. tldr) response than I provided last night. As far was why I find this important, when you examine the issue and logically follow where it takes you, in my view it devastates the value of the Gospels as reliable witnesses to really anything. I surely don't expect to convince you, but hope to simply to explain where these lines of thoughts come from; and while you won’t likely hear anything about this in church sermons or Bible study groups, these issues are all known academically.

As discussed, the Gospels are indeed considered anonymous – unlike published histories of the time, none of the authors identify themselves, their credentials, their sources, nothing. They also recount fanciful, supernatural events for which there is not a single shred of independent confirmation of from non-Christian sources. These are facts, and this is why it is important for apologetics to argue that the Gospels, even if they’re not eye-witness accounts, are at least independent accounts passed down orally. The long accepted or promoted view was that their similarities were reason to believe they recounted the same story, and their differences were due to different perspectives of the witnesses. When you actually examine what is now known, though, those claims start to break down.

The Gospel of Mark is widely accepted as being the first Gospel, and Matthew and Luke are known to have copied extensively from Mark, word for word in many instances (and from what I’ve read it’s much more apparent in the original Greek, as English translations often vary how they translate repeated words and phrases so as not to be monotonous).

Logically, if the latter two are copying from the first, then they’re not independent, and they’re also not passing down oral history – they’re rewriting/redacting a prior story. They didn’t just keep what they liked, they intentionally changed what they didn’t; sometimes feats are inflated, (Jesus cured two blind people instead of one; Jesus rode not just a single donkey, but a donkey and a foal when he entered Jerusalem), or where they disagreed with Mark’s theology or story they freely changed the narrative to fit their own.

Additionally, either Luke copies from Matthew or they have a common literary source apart from Mark that they both copy from but fail to credit. The “Q” theory was created to account for this, but Q is completely hypothetical – there are arguments for it, but there’s no real evidence or references to support that such a document actually existed. The simpler argument is that Luke, in addition to copying from Mark, also copied from Matthew.

Additional evidence to support that Luke is responding to Matthew comes from their competing sermons, using Jesus as their mouth piece. Matthew presents “the Sermon on the Mount” to explain the theology he wishes to promote while Luke counters with “the Sermon on the Plains” to explain his -- but neither appear in Mark, which was the main prior source of both, suggesting they're simply the work of the later authors. Likewise with their competing and non-compatible nativity stories -- according to Matthew, Jesus would have been born no later than 4 BC, but according to Luke he would have been born no sooner than 6 AD.

With John, whole chunks of the narrative are rearranged – the Temple cleansing, for example, is reversed from occurring at the end of Jesus’ ministry and here occurs at the beginning. But there is evidence of literary allusions used by Mark also appearing here, documenting potential literary dependence upon Mark as with the other Gospels.

John was also arguably a response to at least Luke, and this is apparent from the dueling Lazarus stories. The name of Lazarus appears only in these two Gospels, but for different purposes. With Luke, a character named Lazarus appears in a story used to demonstrate that if people aren’t convinced by the words of Moses and the Prophets “they will not be convinced even is someone rises from the dead.” The Gospel of John famously ups the ante and has Jesus literally raise someone from the dead named Lazarus. This is not coincidental, it’s clear evidence of a literary response, thus indicating dependence.

Back to Mark. If the other Gospels are dependent upon Mark, where does it come from? As I referenced in a previous post, Mark is believed to have been written following the Jewish Wars. Arguing against it being the being the product of oral history are the facts that it makes heavy use of literary allusion to the Hebrew scriptures, rewriting stories with Jesus at the center, and is highly structured in its format, suggesting that the author was highly educated and had scriptures available to pull passages from.

As I mentioned, a great example of this is the Crucifixion scene, which pulls from Psalms 22, or the fig tree/Temple scenes, which pull from Hosea 9. If you go to the very beginning of Mark, though, he makes what he’s doing very apparent from the start with his description of John the Baptist, which parallels the description of Elijah from Kings. He's recasting Elijah and Elisha as John the Baptist and Jesus -- literally rewriting Kings around Jesus -- and by his description of John the Baptist he want his audience to understand this.

There's a lot more that could be said, particularly about the silence of Paul in regard to the Gospel narratives, but I'll leave it there. Examining the Gospels with a critical, non-apologetic lens you find anonymous stories of unbelievable occurrences written long after the events they describe that are not independent, as they clearly copy and respond to each other, and are non-corroborated outside of Christian literature, while the oral history claim is again dubious due to the structure and literary dependence upon prior writings. Critical reflection upon all of these facts leaves, at least in my view, no logical reason to view them as anything more than damn good creative writing -- but of course feel free to disagree :).

Peace.

I'd like to either discuss this via pm, or do this in a different venue. We would have to agree on some basic ground rules before taking this on. Considering I'm still looking for work and my time is limited, it will take a while for me to work through all of the considerations of each issue, including homosexuality. So, pm or a thread for specifically a serious religious theology discussion. I feel like I've gotten away from enjoying this thread for what it is. So, I'd like to discuss this in a different thread or venue.

Fair enough.
I guess I owe an apology, as this is like the third time you tell me about discussing this through other means, and I keep pulling you back in.

For the record, I am not praying for you :hihi: but I sincerely hope you get your employment situation resolved quickly. As much as I enjoy our interactions, you take care of you first.

David m. I would like to have you read Daniel about the king of the north and south along with the encyclopedia. It's like Daniel was writing the encyclopedia. This was while he was living in the Babylonian empire. That was before the medio Persian empire which was before Alexander the greats death which was when his 4 generals scrambled to take over and see that Bible prophecy is real.

All you can do is present truth? What truth is there in anything you've said here? You're just repeating things you've heard - the wording is almost too perfect. Did you actually do an exegesis on any of this?

I'm sorry David. You need to study more to determine "truth".
Years of Bible study. I have also studied a great deal of history Bleu. What more can I say. It's hard to explain everything while typing on a mobile phone

I try to stay out of religious arguments because even though I am a faithless heathen, I think religion in general is a force for good and respect everyone's right to believe what they choose, but the sanctimony of the OP is just too over the top.

David,

You state things from the bible as they are irrefutable fact. The only reason you believe these things to be true is that you were born into a culture that accepts the bible as fact, and your faith allows you to suspend disbelief.

You're obsession with the end of days and focus on the last few books of the bible reminds me of family members of mine who were suffering from mental illness. That may come off as snarky, but it's not intended to be that.

No god worth your faith would require you to worship it.

Last edited:
David m. I would like to have you read Daniel about the king of the north and south along with the encyclopedia. It's like Daniel was writing the encyclopedia. This was while he was living in the Babylonian empire. That was before the medio Persian empire which was before Alexander the greats death which was when his 4 generals scrambled to take over and see that Bible prophecy is real.

King in the North? Jon Snow is Azor Ahai CONFIRMED.

For years I have been trying to get people here to believe in the Lord. Many of you do. But many of you don't. I know not everyone here will come to believe but I want to give anyone who is interested to learn more about the Lord a chance. I feel burdened and lead to try for you and this comes from my heart. If you are interested please respond and I will tell you how to get in touch with me and I will try to help you. I won't spend any time witnessing on this board but will be glad to speak to you about this any way you feel comfortable. I really am burdened and care for each and every one of you. God bless

This just sounds like classic OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

You seem obsessed with God & a compulsive need to control others. No one can control you & you can’t control anyone else.

Thankfully, this is easily treatable now, versus when Howard Hughes suffered from OCD, which led to isolation & collecting hundreds of bottles of his urine.

Talk to your doctor. Simple medication will give you relief & decrease your need to inundate us with the same repetitive threads.

I thought we were in the GOT thread for a second there. :hihi:

Just for the record (I know, I know...here he goes again), The Book of Daniel is considered to have originated in the 2nd century, even though it purports to have been written in the early seventh century. Which means it's a fake prophecy. It's generally believed to have been written around or shortly prior to 165BC, as the prophecies it forecasts prior to that date are suspiciously accurate (as if the author was living through the depicted events...hmmm) but later prophecies are highly inaccurate. Please don't take my word for it -- even wikipedia refers to it as a product of the second century (and again, follow the footnotes to better sources).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Daniel#CITEREFBrettler2005

A pretty good rule of thumb is that if one explanation requires supernatural events to have taken place, and the second explanation only requires that someone told a lie, the lie is far more likely.

Could you expand on what you do mean by "along with the encyclopedia"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom