Comic Book Talk (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Crisis on Infinite Earths was designed to fix their continuity issues. And while not perfect, it did.

So of course they have spent the last three and a half decades going back to the crisis/multiverse/reboot well so many times that it has lost all meaning, and they have gotten increasingly bizarre with each subsequent attempt.

Marvel's sliding timescale of "All that stuff from the 60's was really only like 12 years ago" is downright efficient by comparison.

It's an interesting storytelling dilemma though. Do you keep retelling stories of old, classic heroes, or do you create new expanded worlds with maybe a few older heroes and sprinkle in new ones?

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
It's an interesting storytelling dilemma though. Do you keep retelling stories of old, classic heroes, or do you create new expanded worlds with maybe a few older heroes and sprinkle in new ones?
I went on a mini rant on the Batman podcast we recorded last night...

I might be convinced if DC told me Bruce Wayne has always had a secret Lazarus Pit of his own hidden in the Batcave or the conscious-swapping machine that Scott Snyder invented in his run was always around and he just hopped from clone to clone. It would be easier to convince me that Superman and Wonder Woman age at a godlike slow rate because of who they are (basically gods). Hell, I could be convinced that the Flashes age at a super-slow rate due to their connection to the Speed Force (probably the easiest to convince me since the Speed Force helps them in healing, etc.). This Linearverse and Scott Snyder's Dark Multiverse and Metal crap is just downright stupid.

Sometimes, it's ok to leave stuff alone.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I went on a mini rant on the Batman podcast we recorded last night...

I might be convinced if DC told me Bruce Wayne has always had a secret Lazarus Pit of his own hidden in the Batcave or the conscious-swapping machine that Scott Snyder invented in his run was always around and he just hopped from clone to clone. It would be easier to convince me that Superman and Wonder Woman age at a godlike slow rate because of who they are (basically gods). Hell, I could be convinced that the Flashes age at a super-slow rate due to their connection to the Speed Force (probably the easiest to convince me since the Speed Force helps them in healing, etc.). This Linearverse and Scott Snyder's Dark Multiverse and Metal crap is just downright stupid.

Sometimes, it's ok to leave stuff alone.

Agree 100%. Well said.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I ordered the final piece to my Captain America collection (Marvel). Volume 5 #6. The Disney show has tweaked the price quite a bit.
The whole comic book market is experiencing a boom in prices. Same is true of sports cards and many other collectibles.

Sun Wukong

Kicker's, Inc. Superfan
Reaction score
The whole comic book market is experiencing a boom in prices. Same is true of sports cards and many other collectibles.

Yeah, the speculator market on everything from cards to comics has been blowing up again recently. A mere hint of a character in one of these MCU shows can spike the price of books featuring them drastically.

Sun Wukong

Kicker's, Inc. Superfan
Reaction score
Cards became huge business again seemingly overnight. I'm not sure what's driving it, but the stories I'm hearing from people in the business are nuts. Literally stories of guys following around vendors to various stores so they can pounce on the product as soon as its put on shelves.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
At the stores, comic book cards are what they're talking about.
Yep. I have some in storage from the early 90's. I'm sure I've got a few worth a few bucks, but I collected those as a kid, so they aren't going anywhere.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Cards became huge business again seemingly overnight. I'm not sure what's driving it, but the stories I'm hearing from people in the business are nuts. Literally stories of guys following around vendors to various stores so they can pounce on the product as soon as its put on shelves.
Places like Target and Walmart have had to put out various signs limiting the number of items that can be purchased, directing customers that purchases for cards can only be made at customer service, or cards will only be sold at a specific hour. All sorts of crazy stuff. Guys waiting in line at 5 or 6 am, 20 or 30 people deep, going from one store to the other so that they can try to get a $20 blaster box that they can then turn around and flip on eBay for $60, $80, $100. I'm not joking about those prices, either. The card market has gone absolutely, batshirt crazy.

Eeyore

Flucifer
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, the speculator market on everything from cards to comics has been blowing up again recently. A mere hint of a character in one of these MCU shows can spike the price of books featuring them drastically.
I got a good laugh out of seeing the Flagsmasher origin listed for $100 "Buy it now" with an auction at $41. It's a terrible run that the MCU will turn to gold.

It looks like this show is pushing Zemo and the other villains toward The Thunderbolts.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score

Yeah. I thought I made a killing after Katrina when I was able to get insurance to cover the lost of my comic cards that were destroyed. At one point, you couldn't pay people to take cards. Out of no where they're worth a fortune now to speculators. I don't get it.

Eeyore

Flucifer
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah. I thought I made a killing after Katrina when I was able to get insurance to cover the lost of my comic cards that were destroyed. At one point, you couldn't pay people to take cards. Out of no where they're worth a fortune now to speculators. I don't get it.
I think about how my ex's daughter had Pokemon cards strewn everywhere throughout the house. 1st gen gold foil cards everywhere.

Torgo

I am Torgo
Reaction score
Yep. I have some in storage from the early 90's. I'm sure I've got a few worth a few bucks, but I collected those as a kid, so they aren't going anywhere.
I've got a binder full of those 90s Marvel trading cards in storage somewhere. I remember when I was packing to move back to NOLA and looking through them thinking they'll never be worth anything again. Maybe I should cash in while the market is hot.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
I've got a binder full of those 90s Marvel trading cards in storage somewhere. I remember when I was packing to move back to NOLA and looking through them thinking they'll never be worth anything again. Maybe I should cash in while the market is hot.

If you can find any Deadpool ones, you might make a killing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom