House of the Dragon teaser trailer (GoT prequel) (4 Viewers)

Interesting theory I just heard saying there might be a mini blood debt paid to binding with a dragon - and that by binding not only does the rider’s will imprint on the dragon but vice versa
Like Vizzy T remained peaceful bc he wasn’t interacting with a dragon, but Aemond’s first impulse was to pick up a rock to try to settle disputes once he claimed vhagar
There’s more to it, but I believe that’s the gist

Interesting theory I just heard saying there might be a mini blood debt paid to binding with a dragon - and that by binding not only does the rider’s will imprint on the dragon but vice versa
Like Vizzy T remained peaceful bc he wasn’t interacting with a dragon, but Aemond’s first impulse was to pick up a rock to try to settle disputes once he claimed vhagar
There’s more to it, but I believe that’s the gist
Dany seemed fine and she had 3 dragons.

My daughter was home for Thanksgiving and she has just started watching Game of Thrones - I had the true pleasure of being in the room with her when she watched the Red Wedding for the first time. :oops: It took her a few minutes to collect herself LOL.

Anyway watching a bunch of GOT episodes for the first time since the finale reminded me how much *fun* that show was - I think that's what missing from HOTD. GOT had equally dark material but it never felt like homework the way HOTD does. Hopefully season 2 picks up a little momentum once the war gets cranked up.

My daughter was home for Thanksgiving and she has just started watching Game of Thrones - I had the true pleasure of being in the room with her when she watched the Red Wedding for the first time. :oops: It took her a few minutes to collect herself LOL.

Anyway watching a bunch of GOT episodes for the first time since the finale reminded me how much *fun* that show was - I think that's what missing from HOTD. GOT had equally dark material but it never felt like homework the way HOTD does. Hopefully season 2 picks up a little momentum once the war gets cranked up.
your last 2 sentences seem contradictory :unsure:

anyway, i'm not sure what benefit there is to compare stories like this (whether in or out of IP)
1st 4-5 seasons of GoT were great but not always perfect
1st season of HotD was near flawless but not as far flung as GoT -- so what? why would we want them to be more similar?
why compare Beethoven's 5th symphony to the 9th?

I know Ahsoka will be compare to Andor and it shouldn't be

there was no benefit to comparing Better Call Saul to Breaking Bad - both were great - no benefit to them being more similar or more different

it makes even less sense across IP - i'm pretty sure a main reason RoP didn't get more support is people were comparing it to HotD - 1st few episodes were fairly well received. then it just happened that they're meh episodes happened at the same time HotD started. then the narrative got set for RoP. people didn't notice that the end of the season got much better a lot bc it 'wasn't as good as' HotD
so what?
why not 2 good to great genre shows vs 1 great one?

making the perfect be the enemy of the good is seldom good policy

I love both, but I definitely agree that GOT is easier to follow and watch than HOTD. And yeah, HOTD felt a bit more plodding and there were some repetitive themes that I felt could have been trimmed from the show.

your last 2 sentences seem contradictory :unsure:

anyway, i'm not sure what benefit there is to compare stories like this (whether in or out of IP)
1st 4-5 seasons of GoT were great but not always perfect
1st season of HotD was near flawless but not as far flung as GoT -- so what? why would we want them to be more similar?
why compare Beethoven's 5th symphony to the 9th?

I know Ahsoka will be compare to Andor and it shouldn't be

there was no benefit to comparing Better Call Saul to Breaking Bad - both were great - no benefit to them being more similar or more different

it makes even less sense across IP - i'm pretty sure a main reason RoP didn't get more support is people were comparing it to HotD - 1st few episodes were fairly well received. then it just happened that they're meh episodes happened at the same time HotD started. then the narrative got set for RoP. people didn't notice that the end of the season got much better a lot bc it 'wasn't as good as' HotD
so what?
why not 2 good to great genre shows vs 1 great one?

making the perfect be the enemy of the good is seldom good policy

Prequels and sequels will always draw comparisons. I think its fine/appropriate to highlight the parts of each that are more appealing than the other.

It was just jarring to leave the perpetually morbid HOTD universe and plunge back into GOT which somehow managed to be just as violent (really much more so) and dark but with a through-line of dark comedy and adventure. That's what I was getting at in my last 2 sentences.

Prequels and sequels will always draw comparisons. I think its fine/appropriate to highlight the parts of each that are more appealing than the other.

It was just jarring to leave the perpetually morbid HOTD universe and plunge back into GOT which somehow managed to be just as violent (really much more so) and dark but with a through-line of dark comedy and adventure. That's what I was getting at in my last 2 sentences.
Yeah, I would say GOT is much more balanced than HOTD. Has a bit of everything, and I thought made the turning points more meaningful. I didn't feel nearly as connected to the characters in HOTD, so the big hits weren't nearly as impactful.

it does bear consideration that GoT was way more bro-y
lots more nudity for no real reason, lots more women used as props - and three of the main female characters were notable mostly bc they were trying to play men (to varying degrees)

i would argue that HotD is MUCH more balanced along gender lines - and posters might want to speculate if that's one of the reasons they find it harder to relate

lots more nudity for no real reason, lots more women used as props - and three of the main female characters were notable mostly bc they were trying to play men (to varying degrees)

i would argue that HotD is MUCH more balanced along gender lines - and posters might want to speculate if that's one of the reasons they find it harder to relate

I just hope the child birthing is done.

I just hope the child birthing is done.
understandable - and i'm kind of the same (i had much trouble with the birthing scenes)
but if we're all like "omg red wedding is amazing" or "the mountains popping out the viper's eyes was brutal/cool" but "ew, birth" - that kinda gets to the point i'm trying to make

understandable - and i'm kind of the same (i had much trouble with the birthing scenes)
but if we're all like "omg red wedding is amazing" or "the mountains popping out the viper's eyes was brutal/cool" but "ew, birth" - that kinda gets to the point i'm trying to make
Yea, I was trying to prove your point by playing a clueless misogynist.

Some additional context to the nudity - I think HBO has pretty consistently front-loaded new shows with gratuituos nudity to lure people (men) into watching them. Once they're hooked, the nudity begins to taper off.

Because HOTD already had the GOT audience, they didn't have to have as much gratuitous nudity. But they definitely made sure to have some in Ep. 1 to make sure you were tuning in.

That might be a factor for some. The nudity wasn't an issue for me. It wasn't necessarily needed and it wouldn't have made me more or less likely to watch it. I just felt like the characters were better developed and more relatable than HOTD. I mean, I can easily remember the names of the main characters in GOT, but in HOTD, not so much.

That said, 8 seasons vs 1 so far probably has a lot to do with it. And yeah, the birthing scenes were a bit much, but actually I wasn't all that grossed out because I was with my wife for all 4 of our kids' births. I've seen it all, lol.

And keep in mind I love both shows, for similar and slightly different reasons. They both have their good and not so good characteristics.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom