How has Society Passed You By? (2 Viewers)

Everything has either passed me by or is in the process of passing me by. If it were a real option for me I'd go off the grid and just disappear.

I don’t mind tattoos....I have them. It depends on the person and the tattoo. Face tattoos are a huge no no for me though.

But what i don’t get as far as aesthetics go is having dozens of piercings in your face. Cheek piercings, multiple rings in the eyebrows and lips...seems like a lot of upkeep to me.

I don’t understand YouTube stars either...,at least people who just talk about themselves.. I enjoy people like Red Letter Media and their film reviews. I’m not sure you’d call them YouTube celebrities.

I think what I really don’t get is people who over share on social media. Maybe these people always existed in some way prior to social media but...yeah. I don’t know why you’d share every moment, random thought, political hot take, or experience with the world.

Perhaps we're just sick of Baby Boomers whining about how the generations after them turned out without Boomers taking the responsibility for raising them that way? For coining the phrase "snowflake" despite being the biggest snowflakes on the planet? For Boomers, despite being given every advantage from the backs of their parents and having very little to show for it except griping that no one turned out like their parents did?

I have worked with you people for two decades and you're the biggest crybabies out there, always telling me how life isn't fair. No shirt life's not fair. Look at the world you ***holes have left us while trying to blame it on us.

I hope you know that you're all going into nursing homes.

Who the hell is you people? Are you really referring to me as a baby boomer? That's really funny. And then you are calling me a crybaby and an butt crevasse? Wow. Assumption, judgement and name calling all in one post. You know what, you are right. You must be a much better person than me. Congratulations.

Okay, since I finally saw the “bat signal”. :cool:

When you take a few negative personal experiences with some individual people and use them to tar a whole group or class of people as bad, how is that different than any other garden variety of bigotry?

How is that different than what Fox News, for example, does to Mexican immigrants? (Since I just read an excerpt from what seems like a really good book written by a DACA participant named Vargas called “Dear America”.)

"No"?
- Society

Maybe I need to dabble more in what the teen is doing to see if there is something I don't understand, but Apps, cell phones, internet, games, etc are all things I grew up with, since I'm a child of the 1980's, and a teen of the 1990's.

I think about everything else socially is what has always been there, but we have different modes of communicating it.

I can't even call the celebration of the abnormal (using it as a term for simplification, not to make a judgement on the people) being that out of line of what I grew up with or have experienced.

The never ending attempt to remove risk from daily life
As both a parent and teacher I see this trend reversing
We certainly haven’t reverted back to the death traps of the 70s but playground equipment (while safe-ish) is much more about challenging kids
Schools are reintroducing the idea of the value of failure (and learning from failure)

I don’t think I’ve been passed by, versus just choose not to participate.
I loved video games and played them well into my late 20s and then my career path started to get serious around the same time my wife was pregnant with our first child. Little by little my time started going to family and work and eventually, video games and I broke up. The last console I purchased for myself was the original X Box :covri:
Music - whatever I want to listen to, I have it in some form or fashion, whether CD, phone, etc.
Social Media - I have a Facebook account that I haven’t touched since the Saints won the SB and I post here. I have nothing against social media; I’m just not interested. I do keep tabs on what my children are doing on it though - as much as I can anyway.
I mean, I try not to complain too much. I was born in 1976, I love 80’s and 90s music and always will, I enjoy new things like Marvel movies, we still eat turkey at Thanksgiving, and I honestly just enjoy living as simple of a life as possible. If there’s something that I don’t like, then I just don’t like it but rarely find a need to complain about it.
As for lawns - dude my front and back lawns are pristine and I don’t compromise on that. I put a lot of effort and care into them because lawn care relaxes me and really accents my home. When I say stay off my lawn, I mean that ****. :mad:

Twitch streaming.

I was as hardcore, bleeding edge a gamer as you'd find back in the day. I played competitive CS in tournaments in 2001.

I don't get Twitch streaming in the slightest. I can get behind YouTube tutorials, but to toss cash at someone just for playing just doesn't make sense to me.

*fist bump* my fellow early PC gamer bro. Not only are we the same age, but I too competed in CS (CAL-IM).

I thought Twitch was pointless too, until I had my first son and my gaming time went from several hours a day (already declining greatly from school years) to next to nothing. I did expect that, but figured I'd have a few hours at night to play. The part that I didn't expect was my mental fatigue. My job is a daily mental marathon, thus my SR breaks *thumbs up SR*. I just can't muster up the mental energy to game on a competitive level anymore.

I thought my favorite hobby was breathing it's last breath, but then Twitch came to the rescue. It's nice to keep up with the latest in gaming and share a communal forum with likeminded gamers, especially now that my real friends are experiencing the same decline.

It's also nice to watch great story games without having to shell out $60 for one play through. The Last of Us was actually the one that connected me to watching Twitch. Then came Until Dawn and Resident Evil Biohazard.

DansGaming on Twitch runs a Holloween Horror Month in October where he plays every horror game imaginable. It's cool to be exposed to genres and titles that completely passed me by, and otherwise I'd not have access too.

If you like the competitive scene , then Twitch is your place! You can watch all the competitive tournaments from StarCraft, CS, Overwatch, LoL, etc... Otherwise, there is very little access to those things.

Lastly, it's a great place to watch and pick up tips from the Best of the Best gamers and entertainers while they play Live. No hit runs, speed runs, professional team practices, and other world record attempts. It's gamer Heaven! It's like they took the 80's arcade scene and put it online.

Anyways, I hear your sentiment a lot and wanted to shed some light on the situation, especially since we seem to have so much in common.

Have a good day all!

Last edited:
*fist bump* my fellow early PC gamer bro. Not only are we the same age, but I too competed in CS (CAL-IM).

I thought Twitch was pointless too, until I had my first son and my gaming time went from several hours a day (already declining greatly from school years) to next to nothing. I did expect that, but figured I'd have a few hours at night to play. The part that I didn't expect was my mental fatigue. My job is a daily mental marathon, thus my SR breaks *thumbs up SR*. I just can't muster up the mental energy to game on a competitive level anymore.

I thought my favorite hobby was breathing it's last breath, but then Twitch came to the rescue. It's nice to keep up with the latest in gaming and share a communal forum with likeminded gamers, especially now that my real friends are experiencing the same decline.

It's also nice to watch great story games without having to shell out $60 for one play through. The Last of Us was actually the one that connected me to watching Twitch. Then came Until Dawn and Resident Evil Biohazard.

DansGaming on Twitch runs a Holloween Horror Month in October where he plays every horror game imaginable. It's cool to be exposed to genres and titles that completely passed me by, and otherwise I'd not have access too.

If you like the competitive scene , then Twitch is your place! You can watch all the competitive tournaments from StarCraft, CS, Overwatch, LoL, etc... Otherwise, there is very little access to those things.

Lastly, it's a great place to watch and pick up tips from the Best of the Best gamers and entertainers while they play Live. No hit runs, speed runs, professional team practices, and other world record attempts. It's gamer Heaven! It's like they took the 80's arcade scene and put it online.

Anyways, I hear your sentiment a lot and wanted to shed some light on the situation, especially since we seem to have so much in common.

Have a good day all!

Nice! I was in CAL-M. I had a 5 digit WON-ID (16434) and I have a day 1 SteamID (0:0:30127). I’ve been as high as LE in CS:GO.

Truly old school, lol.

As both a parent and teacher I see this trend reversing
We certainly haven’t reverted back to the death traps of the 70s but playground equipment (while safe-ish) is much more about challenging kids
Schools are reintroducing the idea of the value of failure (and learning from failure)
Eh...maybe that stuff works.

I just see a trend in schools and parenting that is all about risk avoidance. Parents are scared, schools are scared. It seems to have swung to far.

There has to be a middle ground.

Kids need to be encouraged to take risk.

As I see it, either learn to accept risk and act anyway or work for someone that will

Eh...maybe that stuff works.

I just see a trend in schools and parenting that is all about risk avoidance. Parents are scared, schools are scared. It seems to have swung to far.

There has to be a middle ground.

Kids need to be encouraged to take risk.

As I see it, either learn to accept risk and act anyway or work for someone that will
as an example i just realized
my youngest (pre-k) has a class called "makers space" - yesterday in class they used saws - -metal saws
he's also used hammer and nails in there as well (of course with appropriate safety equip & teachers & guiders)
my wife's fifth grade theatre class visited the scene shop and were taught and allowed to use power drills
now this is def. a school of means - they have both the materials and (one assumes) a robust insurance policy
but it's an example of a larger course correction where educators are beginning to call the shots more than lawyers

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom