Kamara extended! (5yrs/$77M) [merged] (1 Viewer)

McCaffrey's getting used up. Nothing's a guarantee but hopefully for him, AK will have a longer career to make more money.
McCaffrey already came into league with high usage at Stanford. 3x what Kamara did in carries.

McCaffrey avg close to 1000 snaps a season while Kamara has 650 per season.

CMC gonna be used up before he finishes that contract.

You're not paying it.
The competitiveness of my team is paying it. Kamara's deal should be in line with Derrick Henry's and Dalvin Cook's. Both play for winning franchises and are just as much or more important to their team's success as Kamara. The extra few million a year he makes will cause the Saints to rely on undrafted free agents and role players like Margus Hunt instead of players like Everson Griffen in the future. I don't want the Saints to just win a bunch of regular season games, I want them to win a bunch of Super Bowls. In the decade since we made our single Super Bowl appearance, Loomis and Payton always cave and give the players the contracts they want. Meanwhile, Belichick never caves to player demands and has made 6 Super Bowl appearances in the years since we made our sole appearance. I would have worried about the contracts for Ramczyk, Lattimore, Davis, and hell even Marcus Williams before Kamara. We already overpaid Onyematta and grossly overpaid Peat. Eventually you run out of money. If we don't luck out and draft a franchise quarterback next year, we have one year of the Taysom Hill experience and then he's gonna want his $30+ million/year. Good luck with that. Payloo has to put their foot down somewhere. I would have done it with Kamara.

The competitiveness of my team is paying it. Kamara's deal should be in line with Derrick Henry's and Dalvin Cook's. Both play for winning franchises and are just as much or more important to their team's success as Kamara. The extra few million a year he makes will cause the Saints to rely on undrafted free agents and role players like Margus Hunt instead of players like Everson Griffen in the future. I don't want the Saints to just win a bunch of regular season games, I want them to win a bunch of Super Bowls. In the decade since we made our single Super Bowl appearance, Loomis and Payton always cave and give the players the contracts they want. Meanwhile, Belichick never caves to player demands and has made 6 Super Bowl appearances in the years since we made our sole appearance. I would have worried about the contracts for Ramczyk, Lattimore, Davis, and hell even Marcus Williams before Kamara. We already overpaid Onyematta and grossly overpaid Peat. Eventually you run out of money. If we don't luck out and draft a franchise quarterback next year, we have one year of the Taysom Hill experience and then he's gonna want his $30+ million/year. Good luck with that. Payloo has to put their foot down somewhere. I would have done it with Kamara.
Taysom Hill ain't getting $30 million for QB.

Taysom Hill ain't getting $30 million for QB.
Hopefully not. But if he becomes our starter next year and if he has a successful year - Dak Prescott type numbers - he's going to want to be paid like Mahomes, Watson, and Prescott in 2022. He's going to expect $30+ million a year. We've already made a precedent for our stars. Ask for top dollar and you get it.

Kamara is a unique player. Yards are yards. I don't care if he gets them in the run game, the pass game or in the return game. He's shown that when he's healthy he can do great things. I think we can definitely sign Ram and Lattimore if they want to be part of a winner for years to come. Neither have rings and their best bet is with the Saints.

Say it for me, Jennifer ...

Let's see what happens the next few years and we'll revisit this thread. When Brees isn't around to cover our mistakes and Cam Jordan and Demario Davis (unless he leaves after this year) start to age and slip in production. And Kamara tears his ACL in 2022. We better nail the next few drafts and find a franchise QB for cheap. Salary cap isn't endless. Having $20+ million or more of your cap per year tied up to old contracts for players no longer on the team is going to catch up with us. Unless we have another 2017 type draft next year. We'll see.

Curious to see how much is in years 4 and 5. Cook got $12 million less and over $6 million less guaranteed. That's a bigger difference than I would have expected.
The only thing that matters is the $34 million guaranteed, which means we can cut him after only 2 years.

I'm shocked the guaranteed money was so low.

So I'm fine with the contract signing.

Ram and Lattimore are under contract for two more seasons at somewhat fair pay. Kamara is on an expiring contract and has been significantly underpaid so far. Why wouldn’t his contract come first?
Let Kamara play out this season with Lattimore & Ramczyk. Next year he's a free agent and they have one year left. You sign them with one year left on their deal next year and franchise and trade Kamara if need be. They play positions that have much longer careers. You take care of them first then worry about a RB, even a good RB like Kamara. If Kamara, Onyematta, and Peat's new contracts cause us to lose out on Lattimore, Ramczyk, or Davis, Saints fans should be upset. But we'll see.

Mark Ingram, perhaps.
If money is no object and we shouldn't care about it the list could be a lot longer. You can also add the players we didn't bring in as well.

Teddy Bridgewater, Jimmy Graham, Brandin Cooks, Ndamukong Suh, Jadeveon Clowney.

As great as Loomis is, there is still a cap. Even despite a cap you are limited by what your owners are willing to spend. It's been a complaint of the Bengals for a long time. It's the reason the Yankees are a powerhouse in baseball. Our willingness to stretch the cap to its limit is part of what has kept us competitive. We can't control the numbers they spend but I think it's perfectly fine to like or dislike them. It's the same as any offseason concern you have no control over. We've been fairly spoiled by some excellent rookie and FA contracts lately. Not long ago the contracts of Byrd and Gallete were crippling our team.

If you don't care about the offseason and just want to see the team play on Sunday I get that. No reason to complain or celebrate when players stay or go though. Just trust the team to put the best product on the field when you watch.

Last edited:
Let Kamara play out this season with Lattimore & Ramczyk. Next year he's a free agent and they have one year left. You sign them with one year left on their deal next year and franchise and trade Kamara if need be. They play positions that have much longer careers. You take care of them first then worry about a RB, even a good RB like Kamara. If Kamara, Onyematta, and Peat's new contracts cause us to lose out on Lattimore, Ramczyk, or Davis, Saints fans should be upset. But we'll see.
Dangerous signing for a RB. I don't like it. He gets hurt as most RB's do we are in trouble.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom