Mike Tyson to fight Jake Paul (1 Viewer)

The boxing match between Mike Tyson and Jake Paul scheduled for July 20 will be sanctioned by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, Most Valuable Promotions announced Monday.

The heavyweight bout will take place at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Tex., and be contested over eight rounds of two minutes each. The fighters will wear 14-ounce gloves, as opposed to 8 or 10 ounces typical in professional matches.

“Mike Tyson and Jake Paul signed on to fight each other with the desire to do so in a sanctioned professional fight that would have a definitive outcome,” Most Valuable Promotions co-founder Nakisa Bidarian said in a statement.

“Over the past six weeks MVP has worked with its partners to satisfy the requirements of the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations to sanction Paul vs. Tyson, and we are grateful that we have gotten to this point.”……..

The boxing match between Mike Tyson and Jake Paul scheduled for July 20 will be sanctioned by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, Most Valuable Promotions announced Monday.

The heavyweight bout will take place at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Tex., and be contested over eight rounds of two minutes each. The fighters will wear 14-ounce gloves, as opposed to 8 or 10 ounces typical in professional matches.

“Mike Tyson and Jake Paul signed on to fight each other with the desire to do so in a sanctioned professional fight that would have a definitive outcome,” Most Valuable Promotions co-founder Nakisa Bidarian said in a statement.

“Over the past six weeks MVP has worked with its partners to satisfy the requirements of the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations to sanction Paul vs. Tyson, and we are grateful that we have gotten to this point.”……..

The glove weight seems interesting to me but I don't really know what the implications are. How does that impact a fight? On the numbers, 14 ounces is substantially heavier than 8 to 10.

Last edited:
The glove weight seems interesting to me but I don't really know what the implications are. How does that impact a fight? As a statistical matter, 14 ounces is substantially heavier than 8 to 10.
Heavier but with more padding maybe the blows don’t land as hard?

Also interested by the two minute rounds instead of three

So yeah apparently it's more padding, which means they deliver a softer blow and theoretically take more energy to swing.

So yeah apparently it's more padding, which means they deliver a softer blow and theoretically take more energy to swing.

Basically trying to ensure Tyson doesn't kill Paul with his punches... :hihi:

Still trying to figure out how a boxing match with fewer rounds, fewer minutes per round, and heavier (safer) gloves can be a sanctioned professional bout

Also trying to figure out the significance of it being a sanctioned bout

It goes on their official win loss record, but other than that why bother, and why bother with even that?

Still trying to figure out how a boxing match with fewer rounds, fewer minutes per round, and heavier (safer) gloves can be a sanctioned professional bout

It goes on their official win loss record, but other than that why bother, and why bother with even that?
For the same reason states feel they need to sanction pre-determined, planned out wrestling matches... :idunno:

I think maybe two reasons - one is that it gives it some semblance of being a real fight when it comes to selling whatever this is, but also it's possible that there are some issues relating to regulations, gaming, and other elements of the event that either require a sanctioning body or are enhanced by it.

Everyone already thinks that this is a staged money grab. By getting the bout "sanctioned" they're trying to dissuade people from writing it off as just a staged money grab. At the same time, they're putting Jake Paul in the ring with Mike Tyson. That means going to great length (heavier gloves, shorter rounds, less rounds) to make sure no one is seriously injured during the staged money grab.

But let's be honest. This is just a staged money grab.

Imagine trying to sell getting into the ring with Tyson to your family. "It's ok, he's wearing more padding in his gloves. What's the worst that can happen?"

Everyone already thinks that this is a staged money grab. By getting the bout "sanctioned" they're trying to dissuade people from writing it off as just a staged money grab. At the same time, they're putting Jake Paul in the ring with Mike Tyson. That means going to great length (heavier gloves, shorter rounds, less rounds) to make sure no one is seriously injured during the staged money grab.

But let's be honest. This is just a staged money grab.
That's all 100% spot on (IMO anyway)...in addition to what others have said about the fight now going on the fighters' records.

In further addition though, state commissions absolutely do not like to sanction pairings that are considered big mismatches. They won't sanction a flyweight taking on a heavyweight. In this case, Paul vs. Tyson represents the biggest age mismatch in boxing history. So while I don't deny validity to the argument that the larger gloves are for the protection of the fighters (if you want to argue moreso for Jake Paul's), at the same time, the toning down of the punching damage and round times could also have been needed in order to get the fight sanctioned by the Texas state commission that was needing something more in order to give a legal go-ahead to the mismatch proposed.

who thinks its anything but a money grab? of course it is, only an idiot would think anything different. It would be the same no matter who Mike Tyson fought. Heck, they pulled in $80M when he fought Roy Jones Jr a couple years ago. Who thinks Tyson and Paul want to this for fun or for love of the sport?
Puttting it down as a money grab as a negative thing is like being mad that water is wet...

So while I don't deny validity to the argument that the larger gloves are for the protection of the fighters (if you want to argue moreso for Jake Paul's), at the same time, the toning down of the punching damage and round times could also have been needed in order to get the fight sanctioned by the Texas state commission that was needing something more in order to give a legal go-ahead to the mismatch proposed.

The bolded is true enough. I think it does sort of go both ways though. I stopped short of saying what you did because Paul will be allowed to try his hardest while Tyson will be the one trying to hold back. It reminds me of grade school teacher who said, "if you can get every question wrong, I'll give you an A. Get just one right and you F." On its face that seems easy, but in fact, you have to know the material well enough to manage it. One slip up and it's an F. Paul will be assuredly trying to knock Tyson out. It only takes one mistake by the much older Tyson. I think the lighter gloves protects him too in this money grab if Paul manages to slip a solid punch pass the 57 year old.

That's all 100% spot on (IMO anyway)...in addition to what others have said about the fight now going on the fighters' records.

In further addition though, state commissions absolutely do not like to sanction pairings that are considered big mismatches. They won't sanction a flyweight taking on a heavyweight. In this case, Paul vs. Tyson represents the biggest age mismatch in boxing history. So while I don't deny validity to the argument that the larger gloves are for the protection of the fighters (if you want to argue moreso for Jake Paul's), at the same time, the toning down of the punching damage and round times could also have been needed in order to get the fight sanctioned by the Texas state commission that was needing something more in order to give a legal go-ahead to the mismatch proposed.

Yeah that makes sense.

I declare BoxerJoe the subject-matter expert for this thread!

It is an exhibition. It is not a win/loss fight, there are no judges, no decision, the only way to lose is to get KOd. And even then it won't be legit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom