Mike Tyson to fight Jake Paul (5 Viewers)

In his prime Tyson was one of the best and devastating heavyweights of all time but his prime was decades ago

Can an aged once elite boxer beat a decades younger boxer who is fair to middling at his best?

I think yes and I think easily

The bolded is true enough. I think it does sort of go both ways though. I stopped short of saying what you did because Paul will be allowed to try his hardest while Tyson will be the one trying to hold back. It reminds me of grade school teacher who said, "if you can get every question wrong, I'll give you an A. Get just one right and you F." On its face that seems easy, but in fact, you have to know the material well enough to manage it. One slip up and it's an F. Paul will be assuredly trying to knock Tyson out. It only takes one mistake by the much older Tyson. I think the lighter gloves protects him too in this money grab if Paul manages to slip a solid punch pass the 57 year old.
I don't get this. Why the hell does anyone think Tyson needs to hold anything back? No one wants to see him hold back anything. People want to see him put this fool facedown on the mat.

Last edited:
I don't get this. Why the hell does anyone think Tyson needs to hold anything back? No one wants to see him hold back anything. People want to see him put this fool on facedown on the mat.

While it would be cool to see Jake Paul's head explode like a watermelon at a Gallagher show, Mike might not get paid if that happens.

I don't get this. Why the hell does anyone think Tyson needs to hold anything back? No one wants to see him hold back anything. People want to see him put this fool on facedown on the mat.

Paul's camp doesn't want that. I'm of the opinion that this is a money grab where no one gets seriously hurt and not a real boxing match. This is a exhibition match like the Floyd Mayweather fight was an exhibition. I've seen great professional boxers struggle to even touch Mayweather while he continually lands whatever punch he wants. There's no part of me that believes Mayweather couldn't do the same to Logan Paul. 0%. These aren't real fights. They're exhibitions where the boxers promise not to hurt one of the Paul brothers.

Last edited:
Paul's camp doesn't want that. I'm of the opinion that this is a money grab where no one gets seriously hurt and not a real boxing match. This is a exhibition match like the Floyd Mayweather fight was an exhibition. I've seen great professional boxers struggle to even touch Mayweather while he continually lands whatever punch he wants. There's no part of me that believes Mayweather couldn't do the same to Logan Paul. 0%. These aren't real fights. Their exhibitions where the boxers promise not to hurt one of the Paul brothers.

This is the real answer. Paul brings in these old guys with a massive guaranteed pay day, nobody has to actually push themselves as its exhibition to the point of being fixed, it gets everyone a bunch of press, etc. Everyone goes home happy except the audience.

Imagine trying to sell getting into the ring with Tyson to your family. "It's ok, he's wearing more padding in his gloves. What's the worst that can happen?"
Yeah, I don't care how much padding Tyson's wearing and how much I'm wearing, I wouldn't want him to hit me. Nope, fork that.

Yeah, I don't care how much padding Tyson's wearing and how much I'm wearing, I wouldn't want him to hit me. Nope, fork that.
"Everybody has a plan until they get hit in the face." - Mike Tyson....probably.

i feel like if this was a no contest like people are thinking, the line would be high in Tysons favor. the line is in Paul's favor right now. Vegas and sports betting isn't in the business of losing money.
i was surprised by the line..

back to the gloves…
It seems to me that the gloves padding and weight makes it safer for/from head blows
But body shots might be effective
Tyson’s shorter, keeps hands (elbows) close, still looks pretty quick in his vids
If this was a real bout, I’d see him working the body consistently

i feel like if this was a no contest like people are thinking, the line would be high in Tysons favor. the line is in Paul's favor right now. Vegas and sports betting isn't in the business of losing money.
i was surprised by the line..
The lore of Mike Tyson is going to weigh more in the minds of fans than it will for the oddsmakers setting the initial line. I can promise you that a 30 year age difference for a one-on-one sports combat fight is huge in the eyes of the bookmakers. Additionally, inactivity can be one of the biggest obstacles for a fighter. Paul has been actively fighting for the past several years (the quality of the opponents notwithstanding) while Tyson last fought Roy Jones Jr. roughly 3 1/2 years ago. The betters have the power to move the line though, so it will be interesting to see the potential swings in it as time goes on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom