Saints players and other key sports and public figures are angry at Drew Brees for his anthem comments (1 Viewer)

I don't know what he can say that won't be totally inauthentic. He chose to double down on the kneeling thing at the worst possible time. You can't really walk that back now.
He can't credibly do it alone, but he could do it with teammates at his side and speaking with him. This would be AFTER Brees approaches them, hat in hand, admitting that he doesn't understand and sincerely asking to learn.

Malcolm Jenkins, for instance, is in the building (figuratively). There are thoughtful guys like Demario Davis and Cam Jordan down the hall. I'm sure Ben Watson and Curtis Johnson would take phone calls from Brees.

I doubt that Brees' African-American teammates (past & present) hate him now. I would expect more that they are disappointed in him.

As a 26 year, US Army Veteran, and Black man, I have commanded and led our finest men and women at the company and battalion levels. I am not offended by peacefully kneeling to oppose injustices in our society. I am disappointed in Drew’s continued responses. I expect more from him just as I hope for the best of America. America is hurting right now and Drew’s perspectives is not aligned with what I believe. I understand his perspective and wish he would get educated from his teammates before not only jumping in with both feet but reaffirming his positions.

He can't credibly do it alone, but he could do it with teammates at his side and speaking with him. This would be AFTER Brees approaches them, hat in hand, admitting that he doesn't understand and sincerely asking to learn.

Malcolm Jenkins, for instance, is in the building (figuratively). There are thoughtful guys like Demario Davis and Cam Jordan down the hall. I'm sure Ben Watson and Curtis Johnson would take phone calls from Brees.

I doubt that Brees' African-American teammates (past & present) hate him now. I would expect more that they are disappointed in him.
it's what a leader would do

I have to say - I don't think Drew understands what the kneeling is all about. It's my understanding that Kaepernick consulted with a retired green beret about how to best protest while still respecting the flag, and kneeling was advised. This shows he was thinking critically about the best way to handle it while still honoring those who sacrificed so much for this country.

And really - since when has kneeling become a sign of disrespect? We kneel before God when we pray. Are we disrespecting the Almighty?

Now if players grabbed their crotch or turned their backs on the flag, I would feel differently. I respect his regard for our nation, his family, and our vets, but Drew doesn't seem to be contextualizing this properly at all. This just made me sad.
He's smart enough to know whats going on in the world right now. This is a recent event(s) that have been going on just like covid-19 has i'm sure he's know or been informed by a team or the news just like everyone else has. he's pretty much trying to still make it about the flag its his way of riding the fence and not wanting to hurt his brand. which at this point is pretty impossible with how he responded as in being clueless. He should have been honest about what's going on or just not say anything. He could have easily said yea its tragic anytime life is lost and i do understand the protest but let's make sure we're being safe and doing it peacefully and let justice take it's place.

I have to say - I don't think Drew understands what the kneeling is all about. It's my understanding that Kaepernick consulted with a retired green beret about how to best protest while still respecting the flag, and kneeling was advised. This shows he was thinking critically about the best way to handle it while still honoring those who sacrificed so much for this country.

And really - since when has kneeling become a sign of disrespect? We kneel before God when we pray. Are we disrespecting the Almighty?

Now if players grabbed their crotch or turned their backs on the flag, I would feel differently. I respect his regard for our nation, his family, and our vets, but Drew doesn't seem to be contextualizing this properly at all. This just made me sad.
No, I don't think people understand that some can have a different view without it being taken as detrimental to their cause. All he is saying is that Kap's protest could have been done in a different manner rather than chose the National Anthem to do so. Drew clearly sees kneeling during the NA as disrespect for the flag. Who the hell is Lebron or Michael Thomas to say that he cannot have that view. He is not saying he disagrees with what Kap is protesting.

This is unrelated to the topic and I apologize in advance. But it goes with my point that people can't have their own opinion without getting so much backlash or losing their livelihood just because of their own stances or opinions. It is ridiculous.
Grant Napier was fired from his radio station job for tweeting "All lives matter...every single one!!!" in response to DeMarcus Cousins asking him about BLM.

That’s not how it works. If you say “no comment” you are guilty. That’s how it works now. He was put in a lose/lose situation and the only safe haven would have been to lie. I guess he could just not do interviews. He would be crucified for that as well, but maybe to a lesser degree.

Exactly. People use "silence is compliance" if he says nothing, so when he speaks his mind...here we are.

What's next? Are you going to try to say that those 19 white lives mattered?

I am horrified at us beating ourselves or being in our own way again. This does nothing for our team’s unity and the Bucs and Falcons have to be licking their chops watching our team at odds with our quarterback.

No, I don't think people understand that some can have a different view without it being taken as detrimental to their cause. All he is saying is that Kap's protest could have been done in a different manner rather than chose the National Anthem to do so. Drew clearly sees kneeling during the NA as disrespect for the flag. Who the hell is Lebron or Michael Thomas to say that he cannot have that view. He is not saying he disagrees with what Kap is protesting.
Exactly what I was coming to say. Not sure why people can't respect that, because of what the anthem and flag stand for him, that he feels that kneeling for it would be disrespectful. I happen to feel the same way, for the very same reasons. That doesn't mean that I am in disagreement with the reasons other people are kneeling. I'm certain Drew has nothing but respect & empathy for the issues those guys are fighting for, why can't they respect the fact that he won't compromise his own beliefs in order to prove that to everyone? It's not about a song or a "piece of fabric," it's about honoring all those that sacrificed for what it's supposed to stand for.

Last edited:
The point is that it never should have gotten to this point. Instead of criticizing how minorities choose to peacefully protest - maybe white people should've actually listened to them, for once.
So only white people are in power and can only change things there’s no African Americans that are police officers or chiefs or higher in government???? There’s bad apples everywhere in each profession so yes sheet unfortunately happens and trust me when I say what those officers did was disgusting but instead of making things worse try and change things that will actually help the situation... burning and looting is not the answer nor will it ever be for this situation or others

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom