Say goodbye to Twinkies (1 Viewer)

saw this on facebook today...

"It seems cruel that Hostess is going out of business, just as weed is becoming legal."

As long as its not Easy Mac and those little pizza pockets

Way to go unions, no more Twinkies, Ho-Ho's or Wonderbread...

North Texas-based Hostess Brands, Inc. has decided to go out of business and liquidate its assets after failing to win back striking workers.

Hostess going out of business; nearly 18,000 to be laid off - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

Hostess also reduced its pension obligations and its contribution to the employees' health care plan. In exchange, the company offered concessions, including a 25% equity stake for workers and the inclusion of two union representatives on an eight-member board of directors.

Hostess Brands closing for good due to bakers strike - Nov. 16, 2012

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M1vYj0E2Hr0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Better not tell Woody Harrelson this! He'll kill ya for that last Twinkie!

though it does appear the bakers union is forcing the issue, the fact that Hostas is owned by equifty firms means they would rather liquidate the company and cash out for what they can then go through a long labor dispute when they really don't have to because they don't really have in vest interest in baking food, they just want the profits, or at the very least, most of their investment back.

plenty of fail here to go around on all sides.

That is the business climate now days. The unions nee to accept this and undestand that they can not longer hold companies over the fire to get their way. This is a global economy and business is cut throat. Margins are tight. Competition is fierce.

No longer can many companys handle a prolonged labor dispute. No longer are companies owned by mom and pop that care about keeping the company open. The ownership goups often do not have the resources to fight or the desire to fight. They must either operate making a profit or close the doors. That is business.

It sure as hell isn't going to be easy to do at $12 per hour when everyone within 500 miles knows they're likely to never get paid or a raise.

Isn't it ironic that the "conservatives" who were so up in arms about bailouts and blame the unions seem to be incapable to accept that management and ownership have failed this company? Isn't it sad that so many here and around the country feel as if everything in business can be fixed if only those greedy employees would just work a little harder, a little smarter and for a little less money?

Why not let's blame the idiots who bankrupted the place.

Twice.

Here is a question. If the company was so poorly run, why did some of the employees get together and open and new company and see if they could do it better?

There are millions out there right now that would love to earn 12 bucks an hour and work 60 hours a week. But the unions think they can demand whatever they want. Executive pay is just like any other pay. It is generally market based.

If you are a struggling company and you need to bring in top people to run it, you will have to pay whatever it takes to entice them to come work for you. This is a lot of money when you are talking about huge corporations. Why the CEO of Pepsi leave his 2 million a year job to go try and savlage Hostess for a half million a year?

There are a lot of small bakeries in this country. If you do not like your pay at Hostess, then go open your own bakery.

Here is a question. If the company was so poorly run, why did some of the employees get together and open and new company and see if they could do it better?

There are millions out there right now that would love to earn 12 bucks an hour and work 60 hours a week. But the unions think they can demand whatever they want. Executive pay is just like any other pay. It is generally market based.

If you are a struggling company and you need to bring in top people to run it, you will have to pay whatever it takes to entice them to come work for you. This is a lot of money when you are talking about huge corporations. Why the CEO of Pepsi leave his 2 million a year job to go try and savlage Hostess for a half million a year?

There are a lot of small bakeries in this country. If you do not like your pay at Hostess, then go open your own bakery.

This shows a sheer lack of perspective. It takes a good business plan and LOTS of capital to open your own business.

I would say its likely that very few had any education as how to start a business plan or run a business, and I'd wager less than 0.05% of the striking bakery factory workers have the capital neccessary to open their own bakery.

There is so much ridiculous in this thread that its, well, ridiculous.

How so, is having no job really better then taking a pay cut until the company can try to get back on its feet. I would expect deeper pay cuts for executives as well though. But again 8% less is better then 100% less. And taxpayers should pay no unemployment for a voluntary choice to stop working.

Well, if the boss triples his salary and the next two guys double theirs while they're also trying to tell me I have to take a freaking cut of they're going to close then, yes.

Yes, it is. They can take their big fat salaries and burn in hell.

Remember, sir, this is a free market and I have the right to sell my services to whomever I might like for whatever price I see fit. You don't have the right to tell some other worker he has to work for less.

I do not disagree that the company was mismanaged. Let's look at 2 of the options and my thought. The company offered the union a stake in the company as well as 2 more seats on the board. Why not ask for more stake? I'm not sure of the logistics involved but why not be a union owned company? I do not blame the unions for the history of what has happened to this company. My blame is teamsters told the union members they should take this deal and the members said no. Now 18,000 people are unemployed. We have a grocery store down the road, really big store, that is employee owned and operated. The do great their, don't accept credit cards, have great prices and good products. Why couldn't this have happened with this company?

How do you know that's not exactly what's in the works when Hostess sets to liquidate?

The free market is working.

Leave it alone.

This shows a sheer lack of perspective. It takes a good business plan and LOTS of capital to open your own business.

I would say its likely that very few had any education as how to start a business plan or run a business, and I'd wager less than 0.05% of the striking bakery factory workers have the capital neccessary to open their own bakery.

There is so much ridiculous in this thread that its, well, ridiculous.

Wow you have no clue on starting a business. Many Americans started a business on pocket change and made it big. This is why foreigners are successful, they don't seem to have these big labor union views of how its impossible to start a business with nothing but the sweat equity and a will to do it. Somehow you have to be rich to start a place up is a farce. All it takes is an idea, talent, and a crap ton of labor.

I for one sold my business due to the tax climate, 80 hrs a week, and this administration but I was doing well for someone that went in debt to buy a saltwater aquarium shop. I took out a loan and only had a few hundred bucks to start. In 5 years it went from Gross 15k a month sales to 45k a month. Problem was not the pay it was the hours, figure those in and you as a owner are under min wage.

Well, if the boss triples his salary and the next two guys double theirs while they're also trying to tell me I have to take a freaking cut of they're going to close then, yes.

Yes, it is. They can take their big fat salaries and burn in hell.

Remember, sir, this is a free market and I have the right to sell my services to whomever I might like for whatever price I see fit. You don't have the right to tell some other worker he has to work for less.

skip the part where the CEO agreed to work at 1 buck a year?

What the deal was to get the company back on its feet. And it sounds fair to me. I read cookie line workers made 55k average....

The new contract cuts salaries across the company by 8% in the first year of the five-year agreement. Salaries then bump up 3% in the next three years and 1% in the final year.

Hostess has also reduced its pension obligations and its contribution to the employees' health care plan. In exchange, the company offered concessions including a 25% equity stake for workers and the inclusion of two union representatives on an eight-member board of directors. To top of page

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/12/news/companies/hostess-liquidation/?cnn=yes&hpt=hp_t3

Wow you have no clue on starting a business. Many Americans started a business on pocket change and made it big. This is why foreigners are successful, they don't seem to have these big labor union views of how its impossible to start a business with nothing but the sweat equity and a will to do it. Somehow you have to be rich to start a place up is a farce. All it takes is an idea, talent, and a crap ton of labor.

I for one sold my business due to the tax climate, 80 hrs a week, and this administration but I was doing well for someone that went in debt to buy a saltwater aquarium shop. I took out a loan and only had a few hundred bucks to start. In 5 years it went from Gross 15k a month sales to 45k a month. Problem was not the pay it was the hours, figure those in and you as a owner are under min wage.

Actually I know a fair amount, but that is besides the point. Sure some business can be started for "pocket change," However a bakery is going to require a brick and mortor retail location (assuming you dont have a distribution chain already in place) and then you will have to have equipment, commercial grade mixers, storage, ovens, pans, then you have to have ingrediants and various other supplies. Its not like a landscaping company where you just need a lawn mower and a weed eater and you can go to work for yourself.

The average cost of starting a bakery is usually about a quarter of a million dollars. I dont know how you roll, but thats more than pocket change to a $12.00 an hour factory employee.

So its pretty obvious who is in fact clueless.

Talk about no clue.

Opening a Hostess plant with 18k workers is beyond me and I've been in business almost 20 years and have advanced business degrees. I have a healthy line of credit and a little money, but you're talking dollars vs millions.

And, based on your business problem that you outlined above, I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about. If your business couldn't survive off 45k per month in retail sales without you working 80 hours and making less than minimum wage then the problem is obvious and it had nothing to do with Obama.

Perhaps the new owner with his business plan and bank loan has figured out what to charge or how to manage the business better?

Actually I know a fair amount, but that is besides the point. Sure some business can be started for "pocket change," However a bakery is going to require a brick and mortor retail location (assuming you dont have a distribution chain already in place) and then you will have to have equipment, commercial grade mixers, storage, ovens, pans, then you have to have ingrediants and various other supplies. Its not like a landscaping company where you just need a lawn mower and a weed eater and you can go to work for yourself.

The average cost of starting a bakery is usually about a quarter of a million dollars. I dont know how you roll, but thats more than pocket change to a $12.00 an hour factory employee.

So its pretty obvious who is in fact clueless.

So you're saying the owner of a company really invest alot and assumes the risk to make money?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom