Teddy Bridgewater locked in his future as Saints QB. (1 Viewer)

I thought Teddy looked good. His throws were very accurate and made good reads. My only knock is holding the ball too long. That may be on the lack of separation by our receivers. I also thought Taysom looked good.

"Sorry for stating facts" was probably the wrong way to phrase it.....but in my opinion, Teddy held on to the ball too long. EVERY great QB in this league gets it out of their hands quickly (and accurately). Unless you have above average mobility skills, it is a must to make a read and turn it loose. Sure, WRs and other skill player play a part in this (they have to be open), but the truly great QBs can throw receivers open. I guess having a HOF QB the last decade has spoiled me. I just think a veteran QB in the system for quite some time should've gotten rid of the ball quicker.....but his overall stats look good. Let's just hang out hat on that and not worry about the negative stuff.

I think Teddy has a great arm, is smart, and can be a leader. He looked pretty good to me in the first preseason game. I keep hearing many say that his main knock is holding on to the ball too long, and I'd have to agree. I feel like if he can learn how to throw the ball away or better escape pressure, he will be on another level.

I posted this in another thread. Not sure I'm allowed to copy it verbatim, but below is the post I made. Keep in mind, I'm not an expert, but I did a little research and found the stats pretty interesting. For reference, I compared Teddy's stats to Brees' early years. I looked at each of their first 3-4 seasons, totaling around 850-900 passing attempts each. Their stats are very similar, but the one stat that stood out was the number of times each was sacked.

88 is a pretty average rating... good for like 21st in the league that year. Last year it would've put him right below Andy Dalton.

They were a run-first team with Adrian Peterson. It limited his redzone opportunities for TDs which has a big effect on passer rating.

That year they had 86 rushes in the redzone and 57 passes. Teams rarely have more rushing attempts in the redzone than passing attempts. They were rushing it over 60% of the time. Their 57 pass attempts in the redzone were last in the league by a wide margin.

Last edited:
Bridgewater held on to the ball too long. He's not a rookie. A veteran in this system should be able to pull the trigger at a quicker pace......maybe not like Brees, but it should be better than what he showed. Sorry for stating facts.

Except it’s not fact lol. It’s exactly the opposite and that makes it your opinion. RevDeuce already debunked this nonsense

I simply dont understand this apparent want for our backup to be bad. I dont ever remember another time when people were so critical of Drew's backup. We've had some years where the backup barely had a pulse. Now we have probably one of the better backups in the league and he's routinely criticized. This is his first training camp here. 1 preseason game All of this is just premature.

Most are extremely upset that Tatum won’t ever be a starter at QB in the NFL. Love the guy as a football player, but just like college. He leaves a ton to be desired at QB.

A deer in headlights doesn’t go 14 - 19 with a 110 rating. That ball he threw to Mike in the end zone was beautiful, Thomas just dropped it.

He took a few sacks behind a backup line and didn’t throw downfield - but it’s week 1.
I did say I would give him another year in the system before I made a final judgement, but my opinion of him right now is that he is not the future of the Saints and if God forbid, Brees is out for period of time, Bridgewater will probably not be the savior the Saint's need.

Most are extremely upset that Tatum won’t ever be a starter at QB in the NFL. Love the guy as a football player, but just like college. He leaves a ton to be desired at QB.

I think it's just that people jump to extremes, one way or the other. I think Bridgewater has a great arm and tons of potential, but still has some work to do, mainly taking fewer sacks. I also think Taysom has tons of potential. He needs to work on his accuracy, though. He lit it up in his first preseason with the Packers, and has looked pretty decent here. I wouldn't write him off on ever being a starter for some QB needy team. Got to realize with him, he got a really late start in the league (2017), and he's also benefitted from working behind Drew.

I honestly think either one of them could fill in nicely if the unthinkable happened, but as to who is the future, I honestly think the competition is ongoing. Teddy may be winning (who knows), but I wouldn't say it's set in stone at this moment. I hope whoever it is, if they are even currently on the team, they absorb all they can from the G.O.A.T. while he's here. No one should be hoping for any player to fail, that's for sure. We should hope they both improve and that the best man wins.

I don’t want to do this. I just don’t. Teddy looked perfectly fine for a backup QB for me. Can we worry about next year when it’s here.

This very well may be the last year of Drew. (I think it is) I want to enjoy it, in fact I want love every moment of it. Anything else is a non-sense contemplation of what-ifs. Who knows who the QB is next year.

But I’ll take Teddy, I’ll take Teddy on this year’s teams as a backup. There’s other things QB’s do to win football games. I think Teddy is Winner, a competitor, and someone I can root for if the unthinkable were to happen.

Dang it people, if you haven’t been around long enough to remember pre-Brees Saints QB carousels of stink....then don’t worry about what Teddy is in comparison to Brees. We’ve had worse. Way worse.

There’s not going to be another Brees.

I think it's just that people jump to extremes, one way or the other. I think Bridgewater has a great arm and tons of potential, but still has some work to do, mainly taking fewer sacks. I also think Taysom has tons of potential. He needs to work on his accuracy, though. He lit it up in his first preseason with the Packers, and has looked pretty decent here. I wouldn't write him off on ever being a starter for some QB needy team. Got to realize with him, he got a really late start in the league (2017), and he's also benefitted from working behind Drew.

I honestly think either one of them could fill in nicely if the unthinkable happened, but as to who is the future, I honestly think the competition is ongoing. Teddy may be winning (who knows), but I wouldn't say it's set in stone at this moment. I hope whoever it is, if they are even currently on the team, they absorb all they can from the G.O.A.T. while he's here. No one should be hoping for any player to fail, that's for sure. We should hope they both improve and that the best man wins.

I would be fine with being wrong about Taysom, I’m not like some who are set in their beliefs and too strong willed to admit when something doesn’t t happen the way they thought.

My issue is, I’ve heard a high percentage of very good to great coaches say accuracy isn’t taught. Guys come into the league with it or not, kinda like the problem Tebow had. I’ll say this, being 28 years of age the deck is seriously stacked against Hill.

This is the first time we've traded a 3rd round pick and invested an 8mil salary in a backup QB. We've been extremely cheap with backups in the past. Add onto that some people seem to want Drew to retire so this backup can start. I have no problem with Bridgewater being the backup. I wish we had a cheaper backup. My main problem comes with poeple who want to push Drew out the door for Teddy.

This is the first time I've seen anyone mention wanting Teddy to push Drew out and it's you.

That was his second year in the league.

In Drew Brees' second year as a starter (third year in the league) he had 11 touchdowns 15 interceptions with a 67.5 QB rating.
Shows how useless stats without understanding causation are, unless one believes that Bridgewater is a better QB than Brees. Those stats are better than Brees's, so Bridgewater has to be the better QB, right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom