Teddy Bridgewater locked in his future as Saints QB. (1 Viewer)

I simply dont understand this apparent want for our backup to be bad. I dont ever remember another time when people were so critical of Drew's backup. We've had some years where the backup barely had a pulse. Now we have probably one of the better backups in the league and he's routinely criticized. This is his first training camp here. 1 preseason game All of this is just premature.

I thought I was the only one not sold on Bridgewater. He hasn't impressed me yet in either start. I'm willing to give him another year in the system to learn, but I would think a 5 year veteran would have made a better impression. He looks like a dear in the headlights every time he touches the ball. Last year, he wasn't even on the team for a full year, so he had to be given a break. But now he has gone through off season and the beginning of training camp. He knew he was getting the start. His future as Bree's replacement is to be determined in my opinion.

He does seem to hold the ball a long time but let's let him have a full TC/game rep's to see if it gets better.

Teddy Bridgewater seems like a middle of the pack quarterback. He showed nothing in the Carolina game last year, even playing with and against back ups. His passes Friday night were mostly short to medium. The offense stalled out for field goals. I am wary of Bridgewater when the upside of Taysom Hill given his running ability and Bridgewater's imobility and injury history and the salary cap implications.

Overall, the main argument I have against Bridgewater comes from his apparent mediocrity coupled with his inevitable high cap number to pay him as an NFL starter. Based on the number of top rookie quarterbacks coming in the 2020 draft (from Alabama, Oregon, Georgia, etc.) and the needs for a 1st round quarterback based on teams that have not drafted or traded for a young one (New England, New Orleans) it would seem the best salary cap plan is to hope a top QB drops into the mid rounds (assuming we have a late pick) to take advantage of an Aaron Rodgers drop type scenario when none go high because no one needs one that may happen given the large number of recently drafted QBs. Given the success of the Saints 2016 and 2017 drafts and the cap numbers of players like Thomas, Rankins, Lattimore, Ramczyk, Williams, and Kamara, who all accelerate in the cap after this year (even Thomas has a low number for 2019) the best complement to resign most of these players is a Browns or Rams or Chiefs type scenario where your rookie makes low salary to accommodate other players.

Basically if you keep Bridgewater, the Saints are not taking advantage of this dropping QB and his cap number and not resigning a player like Marcus Williams or Sheldon Rankins or Vonn Bell. Furthermore, once Brees is gone we are in for one giant cap hit which emphasizes the problem of holding onto Bridgewater in favor of rookie QB with potential better talent and less injury history.

I thought I was the only one not sold on Bridgewater. He hasn't impressed me yet in either start. I'm willing to give him another year in the system to learn, but I would think a 5 year veteran would have made a better impression. He looks like a dear in the headlights every time he touches the ball. Last year, he wasn't even on the team for a full year, so he had to be given a break. But now he has gone through off season and the beginning of training camp. He knew he was getting the start. His future as Bree's replacement is to be determined in my opinion.

A deer in headlights doesn’t go 14 - 19 with a 110 rating. That ball he threw to Mike in the end zone was beautiful, Thomas just dropped it.

He took a few sacks behind a backup line and didn’t throw downfield - but it’s week 1.

Bridgewater held on to the ball too long. He's not a rookie. A veteran in this system should be able to pull the trigger at a quicker pace......maybe not like Brees, but it should be better than what he showed. Sorry for stating facts.
That is not a “fact”. That is an uneducated opinion. I encourage you to check out Rev Deuce’s video from yesterday. He does a very good job of showing and explains what Bridgewater did well. He wasn’t perfect. But he played very well.

A deer in headlights doesn’t go 14 - 19 with a 110 rating. That ball he threw to Mike in the end zone was beautiful, Thomas just dropped it.

He took a few sacks behind a backup line and didn’t throw downfield - but it’s week 1.

Exactly! For a minute I thought that maybe I watched the wrong game or something lol.

what did he have before the two minute drill? 63 yards passing? If the Vikings running back didn't fumble we would've gone into halftime with 63 yards passing.

Do passing yards not count in the 2 minute drill? Isnt that what we want? A quarterback who can lead our team into the endzone when we need it the most?

Bridgewater held on to the ball too long. He's not a rookie. A veteran in this system should be able to pull the trigger at a quicker pace......maybe not like Brees, but it should be better than what he showed. Sorry for stating facts.
Not facts. Your opinion, which you are entitled to.

Last edited:
No he isn't and not even gonna use any football reasoning. Just gonna go by the fact that he is a free agent at the end of the season so he's not even locked in as our backup for next year lol

while not a scout or football coach, I have watched decades of football. Seen great, good, and bad qb play. Not sure about your jobs but if I was out of work for two+ years and went back to the same work, even though I have done my type of work for 30 years, I would be hesitant until I got back into the swing of things. Last game, I saw no game planning, just running plays from someone who hasn't played much in two years. I will take Coach's decisions over any fan's opinion any day. He really knows what he is talking about and fans has opinions.

He wasn't great with the vikings. His best season was 14 touchdowns 9 interceptions with a 88 QB rating.
Brees wasn't all that great in San Diego. Give Teddy some credit. He did great first game. Name one backup/reserve quarterback in the past that played close to what Teddy did? One thing is obviously apparent, it is going to be totally unfair for any quarterback after when Brees retire because some of you will always put that high standards to them. There will always be that unfair comparison, no matter how successful or great their numbers are.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom