Ukraine (18 Viewers)

Is it safe to assume the vast majority of Russian soldiers are males between 19-30?

If so, based on the population breakdown that I looked up, Russias casualties are just under 10% of their entire population in that demographic in the first year of this conflict.
I don't think so.

Another senior official from the mayor’s office confirmed that in recent months, volunteers over 45 have made up about half of all recruits in Moscow. However, he didn’t see any issue with older people heading to the front. “So what? They’re fit, they’re fathers,” he said. “They’ve got experience and can outperform any [young] guy.”

But the lawmaker sources had a different view. According to these soldiers, the older servicemen “can’t keep up” — they struggle to carry heavy packs and dig trenches. “And they’re sick. They’re all sick,” one soldier wrote. “Their legs hurt, their heads ache, and they’re slow.”

Throughout the war, the Russian authorities have repeatedly introduced measures to expand the age range for conscription and contract service. In the summer of 2023, the maximum draft age was raised from 27 to 30. Additionally, a new regulation increased the age limit for reservists by five years, raising the upper age limit for reserve service from 35 to 40 for first-class personnel, from 45 to 50 for second-class personnel, and from 50 to 55 for third-class personnel. Last year, the upper age limit for contract soldiers was also raised — from 65 to 70.

I heard between the dead and the fled Russia will have a massive problem in the not-too-distant future. But one hears lots of things which don't really pan out as expected.

Last edited:
Is it safe to assume the vast majority of Russian soldiers are males between 19-30?

If so, based on the population breakdown that I looked up, Russias casualties are just under 10% of their entire population in that demographic in the first year of this conflict.
No, they skew older, similar to Ukraine. While they do have mandatory conscription for younger men (18-25), with deferments for education / etc., my understanding is this "boot camp" is largely a joke - even heard this before the war. That they mostly just do some PT, march around, get hazed, and do unskilled / hard labor like fixing up the commanders house. The weapons training is very scarce. You might go the range and actually fire a mag or so, but thats it.

These conscripts technically are a reserve / defense force that cannot deploy outside of Russia. In order to do so, they have to sign a contract. Now while Putin did annex large areas of Ukraine, so they are technically Russia and they could legally be sent there I believe there is political pressure for him not to do so.

But OTOH I'm sure there is a great deal of pressure on these conscripts to sign contracts which allow to be deployed. So it comes down to who yo daddy is, kind of like Vietnam.

Based on so many videos I've seen and reports on Telegram, it's really old men.

I'm talking 45 to 65. I don't know the breakdown but it's A LOT of older men.
I think that's the vast majority of contracted soldier.

Russia has a law agaisnt sending young (conscripted) soldiers into battle ( after Afghanistan )

There is a Telegram channel that reports on Russian death notices and it's a whole bunch of older men.

Her death in a Russian prison is stirring up quite a stir.

7233ae8f0e02436bb4d4724d83a7a676.webp

Our national news, most of the networks. She appears to have died of starvation brought about by a hunger strike, induced by her imprisonment. In other words the Russians rubbed her out. And they will blame her for it, watch them pull that stunt.

I probably should have mentioned this before now, her name was Victoria Roshchyna. She was posted about here earlier today, or yesterday.

It sounds like he had a 50 pound bag of fertilizer.

I remember the time I took a load of junk to the city dump. The free city dump, they used to be free.

Anyway while I was unloading I found about a thousand pounds of nitro explosive in hundred pound paper bags. I loaded up all their was in unbroken bags. I got six or seven hundred pounds which was not spilling all over the ground.

It was fertilizer first, explosives second as far as I was concerned. And we used it in the fields. Used it as fertilizer because it was fertilizer.

I was good at finding useful things at the dump when I was a kid, still am.. Almost world famous for doing that.

Every time I see something about Ukraine is tired or weary with the West, I’m reminded of a story. I have to say I fully support and understand how Ukraine must feel.
That being said, here’s the story.
Around 1981 or 82 my stepdad decided to get out of the horse business. These were purebred horses and were worth a lot of money in early 80s dollars. Instead of selling them off he donated them to a boy’s home somewhere here in Mississippi. He had no illusions about the organization selling those horses for cash. Which they did. A few months later they sent him a letter thanking him for his donation. Then in bold, “but it’s not enough!” He never donated again.
That seems to be what Ukraine is flirting with.
Had a similar experience several years ago. Worked for coca cola and we couldn't load trucks that had another product on them. Truck came in with a pallet of dog food and driver said just take it off and throw it out. We all split it up then I talked everyone into donating theirs to me. Had my wife take it to the local dog shelter to donate it. She couldn't unload it all by herself (I was working) so she asked the people there to help. She said it took forever before they said they would help then they were nasty with her complaining about how much food it was. Definitely left a bad taste in our mouths.

Russia has a law agaisnt sending young (conscripted) soldiers into battle ( after Afghanistan )
I'm confused about the phrase "Russia has a law against _____."

Putin can do whatever he wants, right? Including any change of the law with a wave of his hand, right?

I'm confused about the phrase "Russia has a law against _____."

Putin can do whatever he wants, right? Including any change of the law with a wave of his hand, right?

But you have to understand Putin.

His power comes from having his people ADORE him. Thinking he is the ONLY true savior of Russia and Russkie Mir.

In order to keep them subjugated, there is one thing he CANT do....send their 18-20 year old sons to certain death. That is the ONE thing Russians ( especially the mothers ) will not stand for. Sure, you will see a video here, there of a Russian mother "applauding her sons death for the Motherland". But those videos originate in the far east- where they have absolutely nothing in regards to a future ( other than scraping by, working a mine or living off govt subsidy )

a short piece that sums up above-

He is also pulling in Indians, Nepalese, Syrians and Africans as "paid contract soldiers" to supplement the inability to pull 18-30 from WESTERN Russia.

Just google "conscription in Russia" and you will find a bevy of information that will give you a better understanding of why Putin has to thread a needle in regards to young Russians- especially those from the Moscow/St Petersburg regions ( Western- more affluent )

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom