World Cup 2022 - Qatar (with SR Pick'Em league) (4 Viewers)

I dont think Berhalter is the guy. But it’s 3 1/2 years instead of 4, so decisions need to be made pretty quick.
Agreed
I will say greggg was very good for the transition from klinnsman (who does deserve done shine for setting up academies and intl outreach)
BUT
He’s not the one to bring us to the next level

We need the Willie Green of intl soccer

Agreed
I will say greggg was very good for the transition from klinnsman (who does deserve done shine for setting up academies and intl outreach)
BUT

Agreed, y‘all know how I feel….

He played 45 min and created no shots.

Got dispossessed more than he shot the ball.
That's too simplistic. The Dutch were loading the box and shots weren't created from really anyone until the game opened up on the last 40 minutes.

We really could have had anyone up top in that first 50 min and it wasn't going to change anything. The Dutch dictated that type of game....bunker down and counter. The way to beat that is like a seige....you have to be patient just knocking the ball around for a long time, not getting any changes but wearing the team in their castle down and absolutely under no circumstances give up a goal against the run of play. We gave up two so that by the time their bunkers started breaking down the game was already too far away.

But even Reyna wasn't breaking that Dutch fortification down in the first half. If anything, Ferreira would have been the better player to be in for the last 30. Let Wright wear out the fortified Dutch and have a fast paced Jesus running in those spaces when things open up. These are all things Berhalter will learn. 2026 is setup for greatness.

I predict Pepi will have the striker slot cemented by then. At 19 he just wasn't ready for this one.

Fine...I'll do it.

Roberto Martinez?

Please no. Underachieved with what was a much better Belgian side. If we’re going for a non-American throw loads of money at someone like Mourinho and have him set us up to be snide and frustrate everyone we play.

I honestly think our best strategy is to outwork the more technical sides but a lot of that is down to player fitness coming into the tournament. Can’t really control how their club sides train them.

Agreed
BUT

Right, Ill give that much to Berhalter. He spent the entire cycle rotating players in and out to try to feel out the pool. He'd call in guys who fell off the national team radar just to kick tires.

I also think that was part of the problem we had at this WC. Typically the US would have an A team that was pretty much known through a cycle. Theyd play a ton together. He spent too much time feeling out the pool this cycle to where this team just wasnt as cohesive on the pitch as they couldve been. It just doesnt feel like we saw the A team until they opened at Wales.

It almost felt like Berhalter went through this cycle thinking he would get a 2nd. But if finding the cream of the crop in the pool was a measure of success, he did do that.

For anyone just getting into international soccer, think about this US team like last season's Pelicans team. It hurt losing to the Suns (stupid Orange people) but getting past the play in tournament (or in this case, the group stage) and putting up a fight was always the ceiling but we do have championship hopes for the future.

I also think Berhalter and Green are fair comparisons (did y'all notice how many players went straight to him after the loss and how Pulisic stayed glued near him?). Reyna and Zion may be stretching it....but similar with Reyna coming back from injury and it impacting his minutes. Reyna isn't heralded as the next great one.....but he DOES have a lot of potential.

Reyna had a decent half considering he was working in a stacked 18, he laid a ball off to Weston that he chose to settle instead of take it on the first touch. He did some pretty impressive work inside the 18 with 3 guys harassing him. But he has as much potential as anyone on the roster. He is only 20. I wouldnt say zion like, but the expectations with him are as high as anyone else in the pool

Please no. Underachieved with what was a much better Belgian side. If we’re going for a non-American throw loads of money at someone like Mourinho and have him set us up to be snide and frustrate everyone we play.

I honestly think our best strategy is to outwork the more technical sides but a lot of that is down to player fitness coming into the tournament. Can’t really control how their club sides train them.

I think fitness and cohesion for this WC was key. We had it in group, just couldn't finish today. Fatigue looked like an issue early and throughout. Leggy and second guessing resulting in possession, but no intent.

I was half kidding about Martinez. I think we need yo find a coach that meshes with our identity. Jessie Marsch maybe? Idk. We won't be the greatest technical side, but what we lack in technical ability can be made up with work on and off ball. First two goals today were a result of lack of marking.

Conversely, Dutch man marked every US player around midfield. The times they dropped off, we would attack. I thought CPs direct movement was great. Just didn't havebenough of that to break em down.

We find a true #9 and we will make noise.

Interesting question is who will be our CBs in 2026?

CCV will be 28 and Miles Robinson will be 29.....so by all rights they are the front runners and should be more improved....but is there any young depth coming up behind them in case of injury?

All three Dutch goals were off of young players having a lapse in defensive responsibility that the Dutch put away. Adams 23, Dest 22, and Jedi 25. Those are mental lapses they shouldn't be making in four years. Conversely, Haji had that golden opportunity on the bad backpass to chip the keeper but he opted to move the ball forward and his touch was too heavy. I bet he chips that with more experience.

I think fitness and cohesion for this WC was key. We had it in group, just couldn't finish today. Fatigue looked like an issue early and throughout. Leggy and second guessing resulting in possession, but no intent.

I was half kidding about Martinez. I think we need yo find a coach that meshes with our identity. Jessie Marsch maybe? Idk. We won't be the greatest technical side, but what we lack in technical ability can be made up with work on and off ball. First two goals today were a result of lack of marking.

Conversely, Dutch man marked every US player around midfield. The times they dropped off, we would attack. I thought CPs direct movement was great. Just didn't havebenough of that to break em down.

We find a true #9 and we will make noise.
I don’t understand why we were both the youngest squad and why we got gassed so early
I know a lot of our squad wasn’t match fit
And our shallow bench did not help
But still

I guess it was the full throttle play that did us - UK and Holland knowing how to throttle up and down was evident

Marsch wouldn’t really help in the regard bc I’m not sure if he knows there are lower gears

CCV will be 28 and Miles Robinson will be 29.....so by all rights they are the front runners and should be more improved....but is there any young depth coming up behind them in case of injury?

All three Dutch goals were off of young players having a lapse in defensive responsibility that the Dutch put away. Adams 23, Dest 22, and Jedi 25. Those are mental lapses they shouldn't be making in four years. Conversely, Haji had that golden opportunity on the bad backpass to chip the keeper but he opted to move the ball forward and his touch was too heavy. I bet he chips that with more experience.
Scally will def be starting at the back

CCV will be 28 and Miles Robinson will be 29.....but is there any young depth coming up behind them?

All three Dutch goals were off of young players have a lapse in defense responsibility that the Dutch put away. Adams 23, Dest 22, and Jedi 25. Those are mental lapses they shouldn't be making in four years. Conversely, Haji had that golden opportunity on the bad backpass to chip the keeper but he opted to move the ball forward and his touch was too heavy. I bet he chips that with more experience.

Im not concered about the back line. The 9 though, weve taken a step back. Even Altidore circa 2014 wouldve put that one in the back of the net, and he was not a world class striker. We dont need a world class striker with this midfield, just a solid, serviceable 9.

We had a lot of guys come in not match fit. Others coming off injury and building up. Minutes were down with some guys at their clubs. But I agree, youd think a strength of a young squad would be recovery and not getting gassed so quickly. Musah spent a big part of this WC looking gassed after half.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom