World Cup 2022 - Qatar (with SR Pick'Em league) (2 Viewers)

I will point out, if we're punching above our weight that is a glowing endorsement on coaching.

I don’t think so, I think that with the talent we had on the roster we underachieved. I wouldn’t go so far as to say we would have beaten the Dutch today….but 1 of our best young players didn’t even make the roster (Pepi) and the other should have gotten way more minutes (actually should have started)…Reyna…..

I think Elf is right, Berhalter was a good transition coach but he doesn’t have the wear with all to take chances on better younger players and which puts too much pressure on our core guys…..

I don’t think so, I think that with the talent we had on the roster we underachieved. I wouldn’t go so far as to say we would have beaten the Dutch today….but 1 of our best young players didn’t even make the roster (Pepi) and the other should have gotten way more minutes (actually should have started)…Reyna…..

I think Elf is right, Berhalter was a good transition coach but he doesn’t have the wear with all to take chances on better younger players and which puts too much pressure on our core guys…..
I have a different opinion but see and respect yours.

I highly doubt he'll be ousted. So time will tell. Gregg is highly intelligent and, as much as we excuse the players with their inexperience, this was his first jaunt out as well. I think he'll surprise people.

Looking at that roster Guido posted, you could make an argument that 2030 is even more our year. Especially if we keep getting talent coming up.

Ultimately it’s a complicated call with greggg - can’t even really say he got out coached by van Gaal bc vG hardly did any (in match) coaching- he wound his toys and set them on the pitch
If anything greggg out coaches himself - he stuck with what brought him here (even doubled down on it with Zimm and Jesus) and not adapting to what he’d actually said about Group and Knockout being two different tournaments
But he’s never coached at this level so I’m not sure we should be surprised he coached the team like he always did
BUT
We also have no idea if the other options would work either
I wanted Reyna/Weah in attack and CCV in the back - in theory I think that works better, but who’s to say?
It might have made van Gaal coach, and his experience probably would have won

A ‘been there/done that’ coach makes the most sense, but how many of those are sitting by the phone? The risk of getting a Jose Mourihno whose star is rapidly fading is troubling
otoh, I thought Canada's coach - ‘up n comer’ - really had them in a great place, but oof did they hugely disappoint

I desperately hope USMNT makes the best choice for the team (without getting bogged down in domestic politics), but I wouldn’t put money on it

When the announcer said, 'another mistake by Matty Ryan (Australia's goalie)' after that 2nd goal, I couldn't help myself and laugh thinking about a specific ex-failbirds QB who used to poop the bed against us...

I missed the 2nd half of US match. Was chopping veggies for a soup and cut off half the tip of my left middle finger, including part of the nail. It wouldn’t stop bleeding so had to go get it dealt with. Doesn’t look like I missed much.

Yeah, I was pretty proud of the Socceroos this morning. They set up well, were disciplined on defense and were right in the game until the final minute - including a late chance to draw level if not for a great piece of defensive work from the Argentinians. Hard to fault Australia’s campaign given the calibre of our squad relative to other years.

On to the women in our backyard in 2023.

Sad to hear about Pele too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom