Are you willing to get the Covid vaccine when offered? (7 Viewers)

Will you get the covid vaccine when offered?

• Yes

Votes: 278 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 106 27.9%

• Total voters
Not trying to be a dick, but do you have any research to support that this is anything more than correlation and not causation?

I mean yea, the timing is coincidental, but one case doesn’t show that one caused the other.
If you were my wife and this happened to you…would you be saying that this is correlation and not causation? Would you be excited to get a booster six months from now?

I wish there was great available research on the topic. That would be very helpful for my family. Unfortunately the initial safety trials were not done for a long enough period of time to detect side effects that are usually insidious and take time to play out (such as endocrine side effects). There have been small studies that have since looked at it. There is a registered trial on clinicaltrials.gov (https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05083065). We’ll definitely be paying attention to that one, though I’m not sure it’ll ultimately influence our planning.

Last edited:
Not to play doctor with the doctors.... but is she anemic?

Otherwise, seems very rare. She might be a good case study.

She’s not anemic…just the bad endocrine/GYN side effects. Agreed that should would probably be a very good case report.

Our payroll department consists of 3 women. 2 of them are fully vaxxed and boosted. One is antivax.

2 have COVID (again)... 1 doesn't (she did have it once before). Thought it was comical.

FWIW, I am vaccinated, but I don't believe I will be getting the quarterly boosters.
Quarterly? Every 6 months (or 5 for pfizer) isn't quarterly....

And so far the US hasn't recommended a second booster. Unless I missed something.

Quarterly? Every 6 months (or 5 for pfizer) isn't quarterly....

And so far the US hasn't recommended a second booster. Unless I missed something.
You’re correct. Israel had plans for a second booster but halted plans after Omicron was suspected to be less severe and the question about vaccine efficiency against the new variants.

If you were my wife and this happened to you…would you be saying that this is correlation and not causation? Would you be excited to get a booster six months from now?
No, I probably wouldn't.

Which furthers my point - you may be too close to the situation to be objective.

No, I probably wouldn't.

Which furthers my point - you may be too close to the situation to be objective.
Or they know enough of her medical history to connect some reasonable dots. I don't think we will come to a conclusion here (on a chat board)

Either way, I think it warrants more study and she's a good case study.

In any case, it sucks.

I didn't know the flu vaccine was quarterly.. I thought it was yearly..

Yeah, because that makes a difference. The point is, yes whether you have to take it once, twice, three times, quarterly or yearly, they are both vaccines and it's intentionally obtuse at best to suggest otherwise.

And, as others have pointed out, nobody is saying that it needs to be taken quarterly at this point. But again, it doesn't really matter because it is, by definition, a vaccine.

Last edited:
No, I probably wouldn't.

I think that my wife and I are pretty objective. We want to make the right decision. I think the average person would have NOT have the second series in our situation. We were hoping that it was either a coincidence or something specific to Moderna. And St. Ward is right that women have experienced menstrual irregularities after COVID itself. We rationalized the crap out of the situation before she decided to get the second series, this time with Pfizer.

But with the same reaction, severe life-altering symptoms, a second time with a different vaccine? It’s always cost benefit analysis, and in the particular situation the cost is too high. She doesn’t regret getting the complete series, it seemed like the right thing to do. But at this point, it’s simply the wrong clinical decision. We still recommend vaccination in adults to our patients because we acknowledge that this was likely not a common severe reaction.

But this needs to be studied. Not to scare people away from being vaccinated but to hopefully help determine if there is a subset of the population that are prone to these reactions and hopefully develop other vaccine options. My wife would like an option in the future that didn’t provoke significant health concerns.

Speaking of adding more booster/vaccinations:

"We can't vaccinate the planet every six months," says Covid-19 vaccine creator

Andrew Pollard, one of the creators of the Oxford AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine, has said that giving people booster shots twice a year is "not sustainable."

Speaking to UK newspaper The Telegraph in an interview published Tuesday, Pollard said: "We can't vaccinate the planet every six months."

Pollard, who also heads up the UK's Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunization (JCVI), stressed the "need to target the vulnerable" going forward, rather than administering doses to all those over 12 years old.

More data is needed to ascertain "whether, when and how often those who are vulnerable will need additional doses,” said Pollard.

The scientist cast doubts on the necessity of a fourth Covid-19 vaccine dose, saying further evidence is also needed here before campaigns can begin.

Israel has already begun its rollout of a fourth vaccine dose, offering it to all medical workers and people over 60 as of Monday.

And in late December German Health Minister Karl Lauterbach told public broadcaster ZDF that Germans "will need a fourth vaccination" against Covid-19.

But Pollard struck an optimistic note in his interview. The "worst is behind us" and the world "just needs to get through the winter," he said.
“At some point, society has to open up," he added. "When we do open, there will be a period with a bump in infections, which is why winter is probably not the best time."

I think that my wife and I are pretty objective. We want to make the right decision. I think the average person would have NOT have the second series in our situation. We were hoping that it was either a coincidence or something specific to Moderna. And St. Ward is right that women have experienced menstrual irregularities after COVID itself. We rationalized the crap out of the situation before she decided to get the second series, this time with Pfizer.

But with the same reaction, severe life-altering symptoms, a second time with a different vaccine? It’s always cost benefit analysis, and in the particular situation the cost is too high. She doesn’t regret getting the complete series, it seemed like the right thing to do. But at this point, it’s simply the wrong clinical decision. We still recommend vaccination in adults to our patients because we acknowledge that this was likely not a common severe reaction.

But this needs to be studied. Not to scare people away from being vaccinated but to hopefully help determine if there is a subset of the population that are prone to these reactions and hopefully develop other vaccine options. My wife would like an option in the future that didn’t provoke significant health concerns.
Perfectly reasonable imo. Hope you and your wife are able to figure this out and wish you good health.

To this, I have absolutely no objection. I never get sick from a flu shot, and don't have any hesitation in getting my flu shot every year. My cost-benefit analysis on the flu shot is a half-second needle prick in exchange for avoiding the flu, which I've had a pretty bad experience with in the past. It's an easy decision.

But if there's another booster for COVID coming, I really don't look forward to it. Both the second Moderna shot and my Moderna booster made me really sick. There's definitely much more cost for me in the cost-benefit analysis, and so I get where you're coming from.

I think it's completely reasonable to expect a vaccine to not make you feel terrible. Otherwise, at this point, with the apparent lack of severity of Omicron, you're just scheduling when you're going to feel sick, rather than avoiding sickness. I would probably still get another booster as recommended, but it's not a choice I would enjoy making.

My only real objection to your posting lately is that you do seem to let your personal experience cloud your discussion on this topic, and seem to speak regularly from a position of authority against the prevailing recommendations of experts in the field, which may lead others here to make health choices that are inconsistent with established scientific consensus. Yes, you give cursory vaccine endorsements, but on the whole, you appear to be significantly more hesitant than most in the healthcare field. The medscape poll you offered really seemed more like evidence of confirmation bias than research, and you used it to support a rather dubious claim that 30% of doctors weren't vaccinating their children.

I know you're a doctor, but we all have bias.

Last edited:
Like clockwork,

decided to put this here instead on the Betty Thread
=======================================

Betty White’s death at the age of 99 on New Year’s Eve prompted an outpouring of tributes for the beloved American comedian and actor. Sadly, celebrity deaths in the age of COVID-19 also bring with them wild conspiracy theories from anti-vaccine activists.

Within hours of White’s death on December 31, just a few weeks shy of her 100th birthday, a conspiracy theory claiming she died as a result of complications from the COVID-19 booster shot was spreading widely on social media.

The posts, primarily on Facebook, claimed that White had made a statement days earlier, on December 28, saying: “Eat healthy and get all your vaccines. I just got boosted today.”
The screenshot of the quote was posted on social media accompanied by a link to a website called Crow River Media and an article about the Golden Girls star entitled: “Betty White: I’m lucky to still be in good health.

However nowhere in that article, or in the original interview with People magazine the article was based on, did White say anything about getting the vaccine booster...........

Another anti-vaxxer has died for her cause...

Kelly Ernby, a presumed candidate for the state Assembly in 2022, was only 46 years old. According to the Los Angeles Times, she fell ill shortly after speaking out against vaccine mandates at a rally organized by Turning Point USA on Dec. 4.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom