Giants and Saints still talking? (2 Viewers)

He's not going to catch as many passes here. There's not a lot more to go around.

Actually, Brees threw to the TE quite often last year.

---Per NFL.com ---

Eric Johnson - 48 receptions
Billy Miller - 27 receptions
John Owens - 1 reception

That's 76 targets NOT including a handful of drops. While individualy it doesn't look like much, COLLECTIVELY the TE position had more receptions than anyone but Colston.

Now insert Shockey into that role... With his athletecism, toghness and competetive spirit (which is for some reason a "character issue") I could see close to 1,000 yards. He'd also make us more dangerous in the Red Zone, where we could use a little help.

His attitude stinks, I dont mind his on the field antics.....but I think his personality doesnt fit this team...and the fact that with players like Colson, Evans, Smith and now Vilma all eventually needing new contracts...why would we wanna take on a player who thinks he is worth top dollar at his position....and is gonna demand it...it be like us renting him for 1yr (or however long his rookie contract still has on it)

His attitude stinks, I dont mind his on the field antics.....but I think his personality doesnt fit this team...and the fact that with players like Colson, Evans, Smith and now Vilma all eventually needing new contracts...why would we wanna take on a player who thinks he is worth top dollar at his position....and is gonna demand it...it be like us renting him for 1yr (or however long his rookie contract still has on it)

He signed a 5-year $26 million extension that runs through 2011.

Why is everyone screaming about not giving up the 2nd round pick? Since the Saints turned that down, how do we know what we're talking about giving for him? The article in question makes no mention of what offer is being haggled, only the former price from the GiAnts, which we declined.
Hold off and let's see what the price is before we start yelling, "bad trade".

As for Shockey himself, I think he is an excellent player. Sure, he's a head case and a loudmouth in the same way Turley was. He doesn't like Eli. That annoys me, but I know someone else outside of football who went to Ole Miss and they didn't like Eli, either. Just because two people don't get along doesn't necessarily mean either one of them is a bad person. I don't think Shockey will have any issues with Drew Brees, and considering Brees' propensity to make use of Antonio Gates in San Diego, I'm sure Shockey will be mightily pleased with the number of touches he gets with Brees as his QB, which apparently was part of his beef with Eli, the other being that he didn't think he was accurate enough and wasn't going to improve (which is a fairly dumb position to take on anyone IMHO, but there it is). I don't see poison here at all, I see a player whose frustration will be sated - and that makes for a happy camper. Just my $.02

Rookie contract? Shockey has been in the league 6 years and is almost 28 years old.

ok...so I got his contract issue mixed up...I see Saintaholic and Saintsfan are the "accuracy police"...you guys wanna contribute to the post or are you guys just patrolling for mistakes you can point out?

Bottom line, Jeremy Shockey could have the kind of impact on our offense that Moss had for the Patriots last year. I'm not saying it's a sure thing, but I for one am open to giving it a shot. I also like the way the front office is not just giving the Giants whatever they want. If we pick up Shockey, I don't think we would regret it. It might have been a bad move under Haslett or another era in Saints history, but I think this team and this coach would be good for him.
I also think to much stock is put into Eli "coming around" after Shockey got injured. Anyone with eyes knows that D-line had A LOT more to do with that playoff run and SB win than Eli's passing. He managed the game well, but he's still not this elite stat monster of a QB (like Brees). I think Shockey with a QB like Brees would put up some monster numbers. Defense won't matter too much when we're putting up forty points a game.

ok...so I got his contract issue mixed up...I see Saintaholic and Saintsfan are the "accuracy police"...you guys wanna contribute to the post or are you guys just patrolling for mistakes you can point out?

You said his contract situation would be a negative reason as to why he should not be traded for and we merely pointed out that his contract is set for the next several years and should not be a factor. :idunno:

You said his contract situation would be a negative reason as to why he should not be traded for and we merely pointed out that his contract is set for the next several years and should not be a factor. :idunno:
God forbid you use "facts" or "accuracy" when backing up your arguement.

actually, pointing out that he will not require a new contract is not only contributing to the post but wholly undermines the position that he should not be signed because we would have to re-do his contract...just sayin'...

I think he was talking about Randy Moss...

Also, I firmly believe that Drew Brees would run across the field and ***** slap Shockey if he ever whined about anything. Last year it seemed like Drew was jumping down more throats than Coach.

I FIRMLY believe that, too. Brees is not going to just clam up and why away from Shockey like Eli most likely has in the past.....

Brees is THE leader of this team, and if anyone is out of line, he isn't afraid to check them on it.

Just one of the many things I love about Brees.......:worthy:

Does anyone have any proof that he would not want to renegotiate his contract or are you all just saying that since he's under contract for the next 3 or 4 years he will be happy with it.

Just wondering if we're talking fact or opinion here.

WHY!!??!!??

It seems @$inine to trade a second rounder for an offensive player. You guys don't think we have enough WHAT IF this season? If he's healthy.....

STUPID MOVE....PERIOD!

+1

oh.... can he play DT ? CB ? LB ? Safety ?

Get Shockey... hell give them a 2nd... I doubt anybody we draft in the 2nd round will have his type of impact.

#1 Scoring offense in the league with Shockey stretching the seam...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom