Food The Recipe Thread [tm--CajunCook] (1 Viewer)

RebSaint

Lint smoker
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Figured I'd resurrect this classic right here. Hopefully CC can stop in once in awhile and give a few tips for the amateurs.

I'm going to attempt my hand at a Shrimp Curry today. Depending on how it goes, I'll post the recipe.

In the beginning there was Andrus, and he was hungry:

Ok....It's got to be Cajun or Creole cookin'. And it's gotta be good! Entree's appetizers, side dishes, the works. I'm doing this for the displaced fans (and for my own appetite) and know one thing for sure... home cooking recipes always seem to be better when I get them from you guys than when I try to pull them off out of some book ;-)

BB&G

Andrus

Previous recipe thread LINKS!

RECIPE THREAD VOLUME I

RECIPE THREAD VOLUME II

Catorgarized Recipes

Last edited by a moderator:

wnelson

Who Dat Nation
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been posted but this is pretty tasty and insanely easy. infinite substitutions but always eat with an avocado.

in a crock pot on low for 8 hours combine

1-1.25 lbs chicken breast fat trimmed
1 regular sized jar of really good salsa
1 can of black beans
1 packet enchilada seasoning
1 packet ranch dressing

after 7.5 hours shread chicken with a fork and serve with fresh avocado and sour cream.

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I really like Crystal, but I also really like Louisiana Hot Sauce. Tabasco?... not so much.

If you were me, you'd never use regular Tabasco in anything. Crystal, Louisiana, or Valentina's Extra Spicy for me.

(And I like some of there other sauces, but by the time you get enough heat from regular Tabasco, the flavor takes over everything).

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I really like Crystal, but I also really like Louisiana Hot Sauce. Tabasco?... not so much.
Louisiana is my go to brand but I found one in Natchez I absolutely love. They have three sauces (levels of heat) and the middle one is what I prefer.

www.devereuxfoods.com

wnelson

Who Dat Nation
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Best tuna ever

1 can albacore tuna
1 whole avocado
1 tbsp. mayo
1 tbsp. horseradish
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup day old cooked rice

mix well and enjoy

daMixter

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Tried this Smoked Mullet dip recipe this past weekend. I must say it's pretty darn tasty- plenty of excellent comments on it.
I have a buddy that throws the cast net off his dock and fillets the mullet right there while they are literally still flopping. He gives me fillets with no bone and no skin- I just rinse and pop in the smoker. The serrano pepper is whole peppers I dried in the dehydrator and ground in the coffee grinder.

About 2 pounds smoked mullet
1 1/4 cup mayo (the real stuff like Duke's or Hellman's)
2 Tbsp. heavy cream
1 Tbsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp. ground serrano pepper
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 bunch green onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. hot sauce (I use Texas Pete or Louisiana)
1 tsp soy sauce

Mix all together, chill, and enjoy

Dave

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Excellent rundown, Dave, but why are you specifying the non-stick and why not white wine or stock or the deglaze?

I'm prone to jacking my grits way up with cream, cream cheese or whatever so I won't get us off the rails, but reading your post decided for me what tomorrow's dinner will be.

If I were Buzd, I'd modify your recipe as follows:

Shrimp:

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 pounds extra-large shrimp (21 to 25 per pound), peeled and deveined, HEADS shells reserved
1 tablespoon tomato paste concentrate from the tube
2 1/4 cups water // deglaze with 1/2 c dry white and add the balance in seafood stock.
slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (kidding)
8 garlic clove, minced Emeril is not kidding
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice plus 1/2 lemon finely grated zest.
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, plus extra for serving
4 scallions, sliced thin

I wish this thread were more active. i know we have some pros on here like Twyst and some very accomplished eaters and cooks so bump to provoke sharing....
The non skillet is best for this recipe because you aren't looking for the fond to build the flavor in the sauce due to making a shrimp stock. I love cooking with wine, but for this recipe it's not necessary with the flavors in the dish. If you do make this recipe, make it at least once without changing or adding anything to it. It's so good that once you taste it you won't want to make any changes.

Dave

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Here is another excellent burger sauce, but make sure you use freshly ground black pepper:

2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon ketchup
½ teaspoon sweet pickle relish
½ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon white vinegar
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper

I usually quadruple the recipe.

Ambush

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Simple crab cakes.

Boil shrimp, potatoes, corn and garlic like you would for a crawfish boil. (Or buy from local seafood shop.

1 lb shrimp
4-6 boiled crabs (or substitute lobster meat)
2 shredded ears of corn
1 head of garlic
6-8 small potatoes.

Dice shrimp and combine all ingredients in a bowl. Add about a cup of bread crumbs and about 3/4 of mayo. And about 1/4 sugar. Mush it all together in form of crab cake. I like to add 1/2 cup feta or other crumbled/shredded flavorful cheese.

In hot olive oil, about 1 minute per side as everything is already cooked, you just want to crisp the out side.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Leftover gouda grits with garlic make an excellent carb cut for leftover gumbo when you don't feel like waiting for an hour to get your rice on.

Dave

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I made these crab cakes recently and they are sooooo good. The secret is instead of using breadcrumbs, mayo, or eggs that can mute the flavor of the crab you make a shrimp mousse that enhances the flavor or the crab while binding all the ingredients together:

Crab Cakes

1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for shells
1 ½ cups panko bread crumbs
Salt and pepper
2 celery ribs, chopped
½ cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
4 ounces shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
¼ cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
4 tablespoons vegetable oil

1. Blot away any excess liquid from crabmeat.

2. Meanwhile, place ¾ cup panko in small zipper-lock bag and finely crush with rolling pin. Transfer crushed panko to 10-inch nonstick skillet and add remaining ¾ cup panko. Toast over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer panko to shallow dish and stir in ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Wipe out skillet.

3. Pulse celery, onion, and garlic in food processor until finely chopped, 5 to 8 pulses, scraping down bowl as needed. Transfer vegetables to large bowl. Rinse processor bowl and blade and reserve. Melt butter in now-empty skillet over medium heat. Add chopped vegetables, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened and all moisture has evaporated, 4 to 6 minutes. Return vegetables to large bowl and let cool to room temperature. Rinse out pan and wipe clean.

4. Pulse shrimp in now-empty food processor until finely ground, 12 to 15 pulses, scraping down bowl as needed. Add cream and pulse to combine, 2 to 4 pulses, scraping down bowl as needed. Transfer shrimp puree to bowl with cooled vegetables. Add mustard, hot pepper sauce, lemon juice, and Old Bay seasoning; stir until well combined. Add crabmeat and fold gently with rubber spatula, being careful not to overmix and break up lumps of crabmeat. Divide mixture into 8 balls and firmly press into 1/2-inch-thick patties. Place cakes on rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

5. Coat each cake in panko, firmly pressing to adhere crumbs to exterior. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in now-empty skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Place 4 cakes in skillet and cook without moving them until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Using 2 spatulas, carefully flip cakes, add 1 tablespoon oil, reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook until second side is golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer cakes to platter. Wipe out skillet and repeat with remaining 4 cakes and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Serve immediately.

Dave

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Here is one of my favorite Remoulade recipes to go with the crab cakes:

½ cup mayonnaise
½ teaspoon capers, drained and rinsed
½ teaspoon Creole mustard
1 small clove garlic, chopped coarse
1 ½ teaspoons sweet pickle relish
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley leaves
Salt and pepper

Pulse all ingredients except salt and pepper in food processor until well combined but not smooth, about ten 1-second pulses. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

wnelson

Who Dat Nation
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
try this next time you want "boring, healthy chicken breast"

for each breast coat frying pan with 1tbsp olive oil. season chicken breasts with freshly cracked salt and black pepper. cook on medium heat for 5 min on each side until cooked. now the best part.... wait for the chicken to get as dark as you want it without letting it burn usually takes about 25 min

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not a recipe, but a kinda tip or trick... Bored with Rice... add Piquante' Sauce. For example.

1 cup water
1/2 cup Rice
2 Tablespoons Piquante Sauce
salt.

Heat water to boiling. Add Piquante Sauce and bring back to boil, add rice, stir and cook 25.

allow just a little extra time and heat due to the P sauce.

Jazzes up the plain old Rice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)