Will Deshaun Watson ask for a trade (1 Viewer)

A couple of questions? One, why did he sign an extension when he knew the direction the team was going; with a no-trade clause. Two, has any team traded a QB of this caliber under 30?

The only QB I can think of off the top of my head is Steve Young. He was a top pick and signed for a record contract out of the gate in the USFL. He wasn’t looked at quite the same as Watson at this point thanks to playing for one of the worst teams in history in Tampa. But he was traded to San Fran in his early/mid 20’s.

Well that does seem to add more relevant detail, doesn't it? Although, is it just me, or does this report actually say that Watson basically thought the team should talk to who he wanted and got upset that they didn't? Rather than them making any commitment to do so?

I'm not saying it couldn't be handled better by the team, to make his view feel valued, but Watson isn't the guy who chooses the GM ultimately.

My read on it is that he was told he would be consulted and then wasn’t. They just hired the person they thought was best for the job.

I think it’s more the mistrust about being told one thing and then seeing another unfold. But that’s just from skimming these reports.

Well that does seem to add more relevant detail, doesn't it? Although, is it just me, or does this report actually say that Watson basically thought the team should talk to who he wanted and got upset that they didn't? Rather than them making any commitment to do so?

I'm not saying it couldn't be handled better by the team, to make his view feel valued, but Watson isn't the guy who chooses the GM ultimately.
The article says he didn’t expect them to hire who he wanted. They said they would include him in their decision making and then didn’t even speak to the people he said he liked. I’m sure he feels all they did was blow smoke up his Falcon.

A couple of questions? One, why did he sign an extension when he knew the direction the team was going; with a no-trade clause. Two, has any team traded a QB of this caliber under 30?

1. Edited

2. No. But this is a different era. Players call the shots more than ever. I still don’t expect Houston to just send him to the first team on his list (we, for example, don’t have nearly enough assets to make it happen). But I could see them parting ways if a team with a lot of assets is willing to pay up.

Last edited:
The article says he didn’t expect them to hire who he wanted. They said they would include him in their decision making and then didn’t even speak to the people he said he liked. I’m sure he feels all they did was blow smoke up his Falcon.
I might be wrong, but I thought I read one part saying as you and Spud did (they intended to involve him), but then later in the second article it seems to switch to him pushing his candidates without anything about what the team said they'd do, so it seems confusing.

I might be wrong, but I thought I read one part saying as you and Spud did (they intended to involve him), but then later in the second article it seems to switch to him pushing his candidates without anything about what the team said they'd do, so it seems confusing.
It’s probably a “straw that broke the camel’s back” situation. The owner has a history of disrespecting his players. A few years ago during the kneeling he made a comment about how he wasn’t going to let the inmates run the asylum. I’m sure Watson felt this was an attempt by the owner to show a different side and extend an olive branch. Only to completely disregard him.

Some of these trades are crazy. I googled QB trades, and the biggest trade was Fran Tarkenton for 2 1st's and 2 2nd round picks.

Is Watson = Taysom+ 2 firsts and 2 seconds? Which side of the equation would you rather have?

1. it seems as if the directions have changed a bit. He signed the extension before the Hopkins trade and then the organization fell apart.

2. No. But this is a different era. Players call the shots more than ever. I still don’t expect Houston to just send him to the first team on his list (we, for example, don’t have nearly enough assets to make it happen). But I could see them parting ways if a team with a lot of assets is willing to pay up.
I thought it was after the trade, NFL players don't have NBA influence. He is their most important asset for a new coach, so I doubt they trade him. Houston, Chargers, and Jack have an edge because they have the QB position almost settled (we all assume Trevor will be great).

I thought it was after the trade, NFL players don't have NBA influence. He is their most important asset for a new coach, so I doubt they trade him. Houston, Chargers, and Jack have an edge because they have the QB position almost settled (we all assume Trevor will be great).

My bad. You’re right. Editing original.

His base pay isn't that crazy. Houston would be on the hook for his signing bonus hits.

His Salary for next year is a bit low but it jumps to 35M in 2022 and in 2023 he has a 20m in salary and 17M in roster bonus, all of that is guaranteed. That is slightly over 82M for the first 3 years whoever trades for inherits plus at least a 1st round pick and likely more than that. Houston will have a hard time getting a team to want him at that price.

Peat is a pro bowl Guard
Davenport is a first round pick
Taysom or Winston to replace watson
Throw in a couple picks

This tr
Some of these trades are crazy. I googled QB trades, and the biggest trade was Fran Tarkenton for 2 1st's and 2 2nd round picks.

Is Watson = Taysom+ 2 firsts and 2 seconds? Which side of the equation would you rather have?

Watson would require 3 firsts to start with. Including a high one. Probably a star player too.

Last edited:
Man, the rumors coming out of Houston are crazy. He told the team he wanted Bienemy to be head coach and they refuse to even give him an interview???

He has a no trade clause on his contract. Unless the team cut him, he can't be traded.
Screenshot_20210107-133218_Chrome.jpg

That just means he has to approve a trade.

Watson's contract isn't bad at all. Over the next 3 seasons his salary is only $65 Million which is cheap for a starting QB. Another team that drafts higher could probably offer a better deal than the Saints.

The $17M roster bonus in 2023 is guaranteed bringing it to over $82M

My read on it is that he was told he would be consulted and then wasn’t. They just hired the person they thought was best for the job.

I think it’s more the mistrust about being told one thing and then seeing another unfold. But that’s just from skimming these reports.

Being consulted doesn't mean he has final say. They may have well asked his opinion but but he can be over ruled. If he had final say then he would have had to retire as a player and become the President of football operations for Houston.

Another thing I I have read here in numerous posts is that the Saints should use Winston as trade bait. What they fail to realize is that he is not under contract for next year so that is out unless they re-sign him first which will likely mean a signing bonus the Saints will have to pay.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom