Food The Recipe Thread [tm--CajunCook] (1 Viewer)

Been looking for a great steak marinade, but have not had any luck. I make my own usually, but want to try something new. I like a lot of spice and flavor, Cajun style. What do you other Kings of the Pit suggest ? Thanx in advance.

BTW, I am in the habit of the meat marinading in the fridge for about 24 hours before cooking. I do it right !

I make my own but can't give you measurements as I just throw it together.. Olive oil, worchestershire, balsamic vinegar, my own seasoning mix, extra garlic, hot sauce and (for tenderness) yogurt. Wisk until it becomes an emulsion. Note: it does not taste particurlary good after mixing, but it does after cooking.
The main ingredient in my seasoning mix that is not in most cajun mixes is dried bell pepper. Zatarans sells them in small pieces and I pulverize them in food processor before adding to the other ingredients in my mix. I find it compliments the garlic, onion, etc. in the mix. I do not make mine as salty as most..more can be added if desired.
cajuncook

Never tried using yogurt before.......
For tenderizing I use a red apple cider vinegar. Works like a charm, especially with my spices. Thanx for the input. You'd be surprised how many bad marinade recipies are out there on the net.

<TABLE class=tborder id=post521551 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_521551 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #1e2127 1px solid" width="80%">the cajun cheese steak
well seasoned beef sirloin pot roast slow cooked til tender
slices swiss, provolone or asiago cheese (swiss preferred)
Po-boy bread (fresh)
mayo
hot sauce
roast gravy
optional: smothered onions and/or bellpeppers
or canned onion rings (French's ?)

slice roast super thin and chop into bitesize pieces
warm meat in a small amount of gravy
add the meat to a poboy bread, spread with mayo
top with sliced cheese and any optional ingredients
as a spoon or so of gravy
close the poboy and heat in a Forman type grill (or pannini)
until cheese melts and bread is warmed

Never been to Philly, but this equals or beats the deli that I had a Philly Cheese steak sandwich from

Try those canned onion rings (warmed) on a chicken fried steak sandwich too!
cajuncook
<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: #1e2127 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #1e2127 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #1e2127 1px solid">
user_online.gif
</TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: #1e2127 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #1e2127 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls -->
progress.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Triple Chocolate Cake

CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE CAKE
<O:p or Triple Chocolate Cake</O:p
<O:p</O:p
1 cake mix fudge, dark chocolate or devil food
1 fudge pudding mix-instant
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
½ cup warm black unsweetened coffee instant is ok
2 cups mini chocolate chips the ones about 1/8 inch across base of chip-- not the ones you normally see in chocolate chip cookies
Mix all ingredients except chocolate chips, then stir in the chocolate chips.
This is too much for a regular 8 cup bundt pan. It easily makes 1 bundt and 8-10 cupcakes. Pans should be well greased -pam does fine.
Bake at 350 degrees time depends on pan used. Bundt is suggested at 30-40 minutes for a 8 cup bundt . Cupcakes take 15-20 min.
Test for doneness by lightly pressing on center to check for it to spring back. Cake should not jiggle in the center. Toothpick tests does not work because of the melted chocolate chips.
COOL IN THE PAN FOR AT LEAST 1 HOURS BEFORE TURNING OUT. It may be dusted with powdered sugar if desired.
Cake is super tender and moist!

cc, that sounds deeelicious. I"m going to have to give it a try. :)

Trying the World Famouse TPS Shrimp Corn chowder tonight...

BTW- I have saved all the original recipes from years ago, I'll post them one day when I can get some time.

Joe

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by RiverCitySaint
Doesn't it irritate you that take-out fries just can't be reheated?

I will reheat leftover fries in the toaster oven...spread them out on the baking sheet, and toast them for a few minutes. Not as good as fresh, but they're passable. Microwaving them makes them inedible, IMO.

Ok you 2, you got my creative juices flowing!

A friend came to visit last night, bringing chicken and fries from Raising Cane.k
Tons of fries left.. thought about your comments...

Came up with this:
About 1 1/2 cups crinkle cut fries, broken into about 1 inch pieces..
Place into a non-stick skillet which has butter and olive oil melted togetheher..just enough to coat the fries. Stir and heat enough that the fries begin to develop a crispy outer texture.
Meanwhile, get 2 eggs, about 2-3 tablespoons real bacon (Hormel) bits
and about 2/3 cup Kraft "grate it yourself" parmesean ..(or your choice as long as its not soft like Cheeze Whiz.

When fry pieces are crispy, add bacon bits, and let them heat up, then add the eggs.. just break over potatoes, and thow in the shredded/grated cheese.

Stir, stir stir, let egg bits hard cook-salt pepper to taste.... mixture will begin to break apart as you stir into small "bite size" pieces.

You now have a savory "poppycock" type of snack. .. As you can see by the time, it was a breakfast "snack" for me, but I see it as a midnight snack!!!

Took longer to type this than to make and eat it, lol.

Am sure you can use this as a jumping off point.... how about pieces of breakfast sausage instead of bacon? Onions for those who love em with egg dishes. The shaker cheeses that are Shredded (not grated) for pasta.. like the Parm, Romano, Asiago blend... its a firm shred.

And chili lovers, pour chili on top and eat with a spoon.

Ok, take off, and let us hear your creations!!!!

Good Luck and God Bless,
cajuncook

OK full of calories, but if you are late night snacking, eating fast foods, then you probably are not dieting are you?

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by RiverCitySaint
Doesn't it irritate you that take-out fries just can't be reheated?

Ok you 2, you got my creative juices flowing!

A friend came to visit last night, bringing chicken and fries from Raising Cane.k
Tons of fries left.. thought about your comments...

Came up with this:
About 1 1/2 cups crinkle cut fries, broken into about 1 inch pieces..
Place into a non-stick skillet which has butter and olive oil melted togetheher..just enough to coat the fries. Stir and heat enough that the fries begin to develop a crispy outer texture.
Meanwhile, get 2 eggs, about 2-3 tablespoons real bacon (Hormel) bits
and about 2/3 cup Kraft "grate it yourself" parmesean ..(or your choice as long as its not soft like Cheeze Whiz.

When fry pieces are crispy, add bacon bits, and let them heat up, then add the eggs.. just break over potatoes, and thow in the shredded/grated cheese.

Stir, stir stir, let egg bits hard cook-salt pepper to taste.... mixture will begin to break apart as you stir into small "bite size" pieces.

You now have a savory "poppycock" type of snack. .. As you can see by the time, it was a breakfast "snack" for me, but I see it as a midnight snack!!!

Took longer to type this than to make and eat it, lol.

Am sure you can use this as a jumping off point.... how about pieces of breakfast sausage instead of bacon? Onions for those who love em with egg dishes. The shaker cheeses that are Shredded (not grated) for pasta.. like the Parm, Romano, Asiago blend... its a firm shred.

And chili lovers, pour chili on top and eat with a spoon.

Ok, take off, and let us hear your creations!!!!

Good Luck and God Bless,
cajuncook

OK full of calories, but if you are late night snacking, eating fast foods, then you probably are not dieting are you?

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

cajuncook, you rule! This sound positively yummy, and certainly off the diet scale, LOL!

Trying steve's shrimp and corn chowder again wif some variations this time...

1. more shrimp and smaller... So I get a shrimpo in every bit...

gonna add, cheddar, Swiss and ramano chesse too, wif mushrooms, and sweet peas... Concidering Black eyed peas too, but just dunno.

Joe

[size=+5]Homemade Cheese Fries(My recipe)[/size]:

1 bag of ore ida waffle fries( use baking directions on back of the bag) Season the fries with a litlle salt and cayenne pepper.

4 strips of bacon

Cheddar and Montery Jack cheese(however much you like)

2 green onions

Bake the fries for about 17-18 mins, then take them out and top the fries with cheese and bacon. Stick it back in the oven for about 2-3 mins.

Now for the dipping sauce: 1 cup ranch dressing ( I use Hidden Valley), 1 medium scoop of sour cream, 1-2 tablespoons of taco seasoning(however much you like, really), a pinch of Tony's, and a pinch of black pepper.

[size=+5]Homemade Cheese Fries(My recipe)[/size]:

1 bag of ore ida waffle fries( use baking directions on back of the bag) Season the fries with a litlle salt and cayenne pepper.

4 strips of bacon

Cheddar and Montery Jack cheese(however much you like)

2 green onions

Bake the fries for about 17-18 mins, then take them out and top the fries with cheese and bacon. Stick it back in the oven for about 2-3 mins.

Now for the dipping sauce: 1 cup ranch dressing ( I use Hidden Valley), 1 medium scoop of sour cream, 1-2 tablespoons of taco seasoning(however much you like, really), a pinch of Tony's, and a pinch of black pepper.

On a diet kewee? :hihi:

The Lost Cookbook Blackened Shrimp

Blackening spices

1.5 lbs of Shrimp (of course)
1 tsp of fresh or dried basil
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of paprika
1 tsp of oregano
2 tsp of cayenne pepper
Kosher salt to taste
1 tsp of thyme
1 tbspoon of Old Bay [tm]

--Combine ingredients in a dish and allow to set in the fridge for a few hours.

I made it with a sauce that I got out of a Court of Two Sisters Cookbook, but left the damn Cookbook in the supermarket buggy like a dumb ***. I still trudged forward based on memory and the ingredients I had on hand

The Lost Sauce

1 cup of chopped Scallions [green onions]
half cup of flour
half cup of parsley.
half cup of cooking Sherry
half cup of canned, sliced black olives.
half cup of heavy Cream
1 can of canned artichoke hearts
1.5 cup of chicken broth
1.5 cup of heavy cream
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of basil
1 tsp of chopped rosemary
1 tsp of celery salt
1 tsp of lemon juice
Salt, pepper, and Tony's to taste
half cup of olive or canola oil

Directions--In a cast iron skillet--

1. Make a blonde roux for about 3 mins with oil and flour.
2. Stir in onions [scallions] and parsley, and all spices.
--What you should get is a pasty, aromatic concotion. Cook for about 5-7 minutes. Add oil if need be.
3. Add Chicken broth and Cooking Sherry. The green concoction will turn white and foam up a bit, not to worry. Cook for another 4-5 mins.
4. Add Artichoke hearts and olive slices. Cook for another 3-5 mins.
5. Stir in heavy cream and cook for about 7-10 minutes.

Serve the Lost sauce over the blackened shrimp over a bed of pasta. I blackened the shrimp in another frying pan--sear them on a medium fire and don't overcook them.

Sex on a plate.

For some reason I am on a Shrimp Kick... Been doing Shrimp en Brochettes about twice a week.

1 lb Large Shrimp and cajun Seasoned

Wrap Shrimp with a sliver of Jalapeno Pepper and a chuck of cheddar or Swiss in bacon, stick on bamboo skewer and cook.

The great thing is that I have a cast iron grill/griddle that fits on my gas stove, so I can cook this in the house anytime...

I am making my local Seafood resturant look like McDonalds. ;)

Joe

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom